Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you tell the person when you exchange a gift?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:42 pm
I had 2 recent scenarios where the gift was exchanged. One was a toy for a child that he already had, so I exchanged it for something else. The other was a sweater for dh that was the wrong size. He actually did like the sweater and intended to exchange it for the same thing in the correct size, but the store didn't have that sweater in his size, so he just got a different one. If the giver were to ask how the recipient is enjoying, do you mention the exchange or not? On the one hand, there was definitely nothing wrong with either gift, they were exchanged for totally practical reasons, so why not be honest, it's not like we didn't like it. On the other hand, I would feel bad to tell someone that the gift they made the effort to go out and buy had to be exchanged, even though it was otherwise a great gift. So- do you tell, or not?

myself

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 3:48 pm
Did the giver specifically tell you where they bought it or give you the receipt so you could exchange it?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 8:33 pm
Only if it's someone close enough that they will expect to see the gift at (at my home/ on my body/ etc.) and be hurt or at least curious if they don't - or someone that I know will just be glad I exchanged it for something more appropriate/ useful.
If it's someone who just doesn't need to know (say an aunt from another city sends ds a toy and he'd rather exchange it for another) why bother informing them? Or if it's that certain type of someone who always seems to want to hear from you how absolutely fabulous and perfect you thought their gift was (I've got a couple of those in my family) then why start in?

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 12:47 am
Don't.
I see no reason to do so, and I see definite reasons *not* to do so.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 2:34 am
no reason to. Unless they ask why your husband is not wearing the sweater, and you can explain what happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette