Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SPL -Advice needed!

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:45 pm
My cousin just graduted BS in SPL program, but did not get into any MS programs for this fall. She will reapply next year, but for now any ideas on what she can do in the mean time? Her program did not have TLLSD component, do you think it can be taken separately? Is it worth it? Thanks. Also did anyone ever looked into MS programs on-line.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:58 pm
Could you explain all your abbreviations???

The best thing to do, in any case, if one wants to reapply to a graduate program--- is to do something creative & enriching with the year to impress the admissions committee next time around.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 12:36 pm
SPL - speech language pathology
TSSLD - part of some SPL programs, allows to get cert. in teaching Special Ed, not exactly sure myself.
MS- masters
BS - you know, BS LOL

luckysunshine

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 1:45 pm
This might help you. I am in the process of completing my degree in speech-language pathology. The TSSLD is needed if the SLP wishes to work in a school. Every college has their own requirements regarding the TSSLD, so I don't believe your cousin can do much regarding that ... until she gets into a masters program, and sees what their requirements are.
As far as doing something in between her bachelors and masters programs, I'm not sure there is much she can do. I'm not sure what her reasons were for not getting into a masters program, but if it was because of a low GRE score, she can possibly study for that again, retake it, and hopefully that will help her get into a program. Hope this helps.

redhot

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 2:57 pm
Hi- First of all the abreviation is SLP= speech language pathologist Smile

second- she definitely can complete the requirements for her tshh or whatever its called nowadays on her own. She needs to look online at the New York state website and find out what she needs to get it, and she can do it on her own. I despise the concept of undergrads giving speech therapy, but it is done all the time.

The requirements are basically a certain amount of education credits, completing a child abuse prevention course, some other prevention course and taking two EASY tests (which she doesnt have to study for).

I did it on my own because my masters program did not guide us either.

best of luck to her, and I recommend that she apply to every school she can think of next time.
(brooklyn, queens, hunter, touro, kean, lehmans, adelphi, LIU, etc)

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 3:10 pm
Thanks.
Her problem is GPA 2.9 Sad and also she applied to very competative programs like Columbia, etc. Her last semester grades are not in yet, so we are all hoping that it will go above 3.0, because I don't think many schools are even looking into applicants whose GPA is below 3. Any way it is just shocking to her parents that there is basically nothing she can do with her degree. If MS is entry to practice, why not make combine BS-MS degree programs like many specialities have? Her parents are mad, she is so depressed. Of course she should have done a lot of things differently, but ...

redhot

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 3:17 pm
I am sorry but I have to be frank with you. If she was only able to maintain a 2.9 GPA she has probably chosen the wrong field. She should consider a less competitive and less scholastically challenging field.

And also- a side note- Columbia's speech program is NOT one of the best programs in NY. Other schools are harder to get into, and are known as more difficult programs.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 5:48 pm
She is actually a very bright girl. She started her BS-SPL in one college, and then transfered to a different program after 1.5 years., because of family circ. Her GPA in first program was above 3.5 (that included both major and non-major credits). In the second program she had to retake 1 or 2 classes, but instead of taking extra time, she was determined to graduate in 4 years. So she added extra classes in addition to F/T studies, clinicals and working a lot of hours. So of course, she should have compomised on something, less classes, less hours working, whatever. She actually did better in her major classes vs. lib. arts she had to take, I think bec. she spent more time on them. Not a lot she can do about it now.
Re: graduate programs I do not know much about them since this is not my field, but I know Columbia is one of schools she applied, and from my field I know Columbia is competative. All this SPL stuff is new to me, until 3 weeks ago I knew little about it, untill my aunt called me hysterical. My cousins' wedding is few weeks from now, it is a whole big mess.
Anyway, where did you take TSSLD? She will probably have to do it, and the hopefully next year she can get in somewhere.

Esther01

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 6:19 pm
my dh is also going for SLP in touro men's program (Ave. J)
he has a GPA of 3.8 and was not accepted for the master's program because the class is full (he gave in his application to the later side, not after date)
his options are as follows:
he's looking into either doing it through an online program
or he's looking into getting a masters in education, which only takes a year, between 3-4 semesters, depending how many classes you take each semester. (he can do summer, fall, spring, summer, or fall spring summer)
he went to LIU to check out the campus and talk to the dean. to get in you don't need a high GPA I think 2.7 is enough. and a masters in education will only enhance his career. by next fall I'm sure he won't have a problem getting in to any college.

the other thing I want to say is, that your cousin and her parents need to realize that this is nobodies fault. it's all bashert and she will find the right way to coplete her schooling and start her career.

when we got the rejection letter, I was fuming, my dh is one of the best in his class, two other guys with lower GPA and lower score on GRE got accepted Twisted Evil , well my husband just thought of other options and said, "Hashem is planning our life, we have to try and do the right things"
B"H I was able to see it his way, and what can we do if it'll take him an extra year to finish his schooling... that's what Hashem wants...

hatzlacha for her and I hope my post will help her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics