Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Inspirational Reading for Mothers

Motek

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 1:49 pm
Quote:
So I've been thinking, what did Mom bestow on us that gave us the confidence to take the risks to go out into the world, forge our own paths and succeed?

One thing that sticks in my mind is that she always believed that we were perfect...

When it comes to her kids, she has this uncanny ability to erase from her memory banks, almost instantly, any negative act or quality. She only remembers the positive...

We took it for granted that Mom was always there for us. We just assumed it was the accepted institution of motherhood...

Her message got in: We had what it takes to succeed in life.

Every effort and accomplishment was praised and encouraged, no matter how small. She knew that we would become what we believed we could be. If we were injured, she would comfort us and tell us how brave we were. She would let us know how proud she was after every good test. We may have rolled our eyes, but the message got in: We had what it takes to succeed in life.

... many mothers have mastered those techniques. So what was her secret? With no other alternative at my disposal, I decided to ask her.

She recounted the following incident: "David was born 20 months before you twins. The first years were very hectic, you can imagine, but I thought I'd been given the world. Once a friend approached me while shopping with you two in the carriage and David hanging on. She said to me in a sympathetic tone, 'You poor thing, you must be exhausted.'

I quickly responded 'I think I am the luckiest person in the world.' I glanced down and noticed that David's face had broken into a huge grin. I realized then that everything you say and do will determine if they feel good about themselves or the opposite."

I was too young to remember that incident, but I do remember Mom frequently telling us that when other mothers would moan about their kids being home for the summer vacation, driving them crazy, she would tell them (and us) that they were crazy -- she loved having us home with her.

I think that was Mom's secret. She enjoyed being a mother. She enjoyed us. And that message went deeper than any other she could have given us.

for the entire article:
http://www.aish.com/family/men.....e.asp

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 2:08 pm
This is EXACTLY my mom. Wow thanks for the article.

Quote:
she always believed that we were perfect

I just had to laugh for this one, SO true.

Quote:
When it comes to her kids, she has this uncanny ability to erase from her memory banks, almost instantly, any negative act or quality. She only remembers the positive

She does that with other people too. When I was a teen it would annoy me, I would wonder how/why she would always see the good even in very bad people. In a way it is beautiful but it is hard to set limits like that (depressed coworker who needs to talk about his son's problems until 10 pm and so on).

Quote:
We took it for granted that Mom was always there for us. We just assumed it was the accepted institution of motherhood

Guilty of that

Quote:
Her message got in: We had what it takes to succeed in life.

I can't count the times I heard that or something similar

Quote:
Every effort and accomplishment was praised and encouraged, no matter how small. If we were injured, she would comfort us and tell us how brave we were. She would let us know how proud she was after every good test.

I had to laugh again. Just today she told me that No, my pregnancy didn't "mess up" my brain, yes I have to finish my thesis, No it won't be too difficult, Yes she will help if it is too hard (and finished by implying I should go for the PhD too LOL)

Quote:
everything you say and do will determine if they feel good about themselves or the opposite.

She always says that

Quote:
I do remember Mom frequently telling us that when other mothers would moan about their kids being home for the summer vacation, driving them crazy, she would tell them (and us) that they were crazy -- she loved having us home with her.

And that too. She says she cannot get it.

Thanks for sharing, I will show it to her.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 2:09 pm
double post

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:49 pm
that was an article on the ais website about a son writting how amazing his mother was (in time for mother's day)
its a lovely article.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics