Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Mask She Wears

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 8:57 am
I was at the play last night and felt it was such a great message.
How many of you relate? Feel free to share!!

I related so much to the "rich girl" (not the rich part) who had no marriage. I was crying throughout.

I am not rich but people are jealous of me constantly. My DH is so helpful, such a great Dad...I have enough $ to live (no vacations or cruises...but pay my rent)...I have a great Job for Israel standards...people tell me outright that I'm so lucky and ask me if I realize how lucky I am!! My "amazing" DH is a s-x addict (beyond just computer Sad ) and I suffer tremendously. Divorce is a possibility although at this point I am more hopeful and feel like our current therapist (like therapist #4) is really helpful for us. I work like a dog and have huge therapy bills, my kids suffer...I SO IDENTIFIED!!!!
I learned so much from my life never to judge or think you know anyone but this was an awesome reminder how we never know what anyone is going through and we just have to respect them!!
I think they did a great job at giving the message over in such a nice and cute way. I loved the last scene, so true!!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 9:02 am
Oh and wanted to add how much I related to her outburst of anger to her friend. I used to be so calm and patient and I feel like I got this anger thing now and I lash out at times to my kids or others and people think like what happen to you?? but really it's my whole night being up crying about situation, barely managing emotionally and that pressure to go out and face the world and smile!!!!!!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 9:49 am
I also loved the play. Like you said, it was so eye- opening and made me feel connected to people in those situations.
I'm sorry to hear about your tough situation! You should have strength in dealing with it. That can't be easy.
I identified with the "poor girl", the desperation of not having enough to cover expenses. We're not being supported by parents or in laws (which I personally feel is a good thing) but I work many hours every day to make ends meet with 2 little babies. My husband also works for a few hours every day but still it doesn't feel like we are "making it" with all the expenses that come up, rent, food etc. Sometimes I feel like it's just not working, with all the juggling...

Anyway, really enjoyed going to it.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 9:51 am
I wasn't able to go but really wanted to Sad do you think it will be available on video or something?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:10 am
Which play are you all talking about?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Which play are you all talking about?

I'm going to guess that it's called "the mask she wears"

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:31 am
The Mask She Wears (show took place in Israel) is a contemporary musical drama about the lives of three young women, each dealing with a different nisayon - that her friends don't necessarily know about. As each woman is propelled towards the resolution of her own conflict, she also inadvertently ends up stepping on her friends? toes. This powerful and groundbreaking show is intended to raise sensitivity as well as to increase awareness, because we never really know what the people around us are dealing with. Discretion is advised as delicate subjects such as infertility and shalom bayis issues are portrayed.

They are making another showing next week, I believe for those who missed it and I also heard they will be making a DVD

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:31 am
eema of 3 wrote:
I'm going to guess that it's called "the mask she wears"

I understand! Lol! I'm asking who made this play? A school?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
I understand! Lol! I'm asking who made this play? A school?

A group of married women, Directed by Esther Goldman

IMK

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:41 am
where and when will the showing be next week? I would love to go!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
A group of married women, Directed by Esther Goldman

Thanks!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 10:57 am
I loved it as well, had to leave after the scene by misrad hapnim...if you dont mind, what happened at the end?
I left with such appreciation to Hashem for all my brachos bH! We really have to think 2xs before we say anything.

Tadam

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 2:08 pm
I was a little disappointed though about the level of the play. It was such a good story, and the actresses were great, I really think professional props and backgrounds would've been in place. It irked me to know end the nebby look on the stage, it looked like grand rehearsal. I know she said it was on purpose, but it still bothered me very much.
I'm sure glad the $ goes to tzedakah, at least I don't feel like it was a waste.

Butterfly

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 2:20 pm
Will this show be played in the US/New York area some time?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 15 2015, 5:31 pm
Tadam wrote:
I was a little disappointed though about the level of the play. It was such a good story, and the actresses were great, I really think professional props and backgrounds would've been in place. It irked me to know end the nebby look on the stage, it looked like grand rehearsal. I know she said it was on purpose, but it still bothered me very much.
I'm sure glad the $ goes to tzedakah, at least I don't feel like it was a waste.

I also had that feeling at first and said to my friend, "nice excuse!" (the minimalistic approach etc.), but at the end I said to my friend that I went with that it really did make us focus on the content.
It was more of a meaningful message delivered beautifully than a production.
I doubt they'll be showing it in USA, they all live here but a video is coming out.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 10:03 am
The next show is tomorrow (Wed.) night. My friend's therapist told her to go Smile so we're going together. To buy tickets, email:
themaskshewears1@gmail.com

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:08 pm
Lol I told my therapist about it, and she told me that she told her other clients to go...(im sure lots of therapists who heard about it suggested it...)
small world Smile

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:09 pm
and how funny is it that we are all wearing masks of amother....

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:28 pm
According to the playbill, for the DVD email themaskshewears1@gmail.com.
To answer the original question: I loved the play. B"H I did't really relate to any of the specific challenges (maybe the financial one - but not on such a scale.). But I realized this is true with so many things. When people talk about their "brilliant" kids, I feel bad about my kids with learning difficulties. And I'm sure it can't be easy for people to hear others talk about how much help their mother/mother in law gives them, if they are struggling on their own.
I think the main message was just that: not to speak excessively about any of the good things we have in life, because we never know who it could be causing pain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics