Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have experience with phobia

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 8:51 pm
We have an outbreak of cockroaches and my 2.5 yr old has developed a phobia to them. I read on other forums about assuring them they are safe and loved but the roaches are around, and he sees them and Is scared and simply doesn't feel safe.
OrIginally He saw me put Roaches in The garbage and was fine with 'they went bye bye, no more roaches', but now when he sees one he screams and cries in fear. He won't walk or sit directly on the floor, or even put his feet down in his crib . He cries to the point of gagging. Tonight he bit me out of fear. I eventually succumbed and put him in my bed, and he fell asleep in no time.
So obv we are dealing with getting rid of them, its the second time we have them, but it takes a while to break the cycle.
Anyone have tips on how to deal with the very real fear, or perhaps desensitize him to the roaches?
Thank you!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:01 pm
This is what I did when I had a similar problem with a young child. I went to the library and checked out lots of books with colored photos of the insect my child was afraid of ( doesn't have to be only roaches, a variety is fine). I also checked out videos of insects. We then spent time reading/ watching in a fun way.
You can probably find videos online as well. Keep it light, fun, and interesting, like a fun activity to do together while doing a lot of exposure to the feared insects. Repeat as often as your child seems interested ( don't force it, appeal to your child's natural curiosity). You can then incorporate other exposure activities such as drawing the insect, making a clay model, buildng it out of clics or Lego, making a special Roach house, making a mommy or Tatty Roach, etc. All, of course, in a playful non-anxious laid back way. Your child's anxiety should go way down, until he finally looks at the Roach with curiosity and interested instead of panic. Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:53 pm
Thank you amother for your response. Before his fear turned into a phobia I did somewhat attempt that approach. I showed him pictures on my phone. As a very curious little boy he wanted to look at the pictures (while I was getting worried it would make things worse) and he was very comfortable with the whole idea. I think though, that was because it was distant while he is very scared of a live one actually crawling on him. I will try the other exposure activities you mentioned and hopefully that will help!! Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics