Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:40 pm
What are the borders where people live? (between which streets) I've heard there are 2 areas?

What is the community like? (size, hashkafic leanings, etc.)

What are the options for schools? Shuls? Child care for infants/toddlers?

What is a realistic expectation for renting at least a 2-bedroom apt? What about buying a house?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 5:13 am
amother wrote:
What are the borders where people live? (between which streets) I've heard there are 2 areas?

What is a realistic expectation for renting at least a 2-bedroom apt? What about buying a house?

The southern border is Northfield in Oak Park, and Pennsylvania in Southfield. East is Coolidge in OP and Southfield in Sfld.
North is a few blocks north of Lincoln in both OP and Sfld.

Oak Park and Sfld are two neighboring small cities on either side of Greenfield Road. The hottest neighborhood now is the southeast corner of Ten Mile and Greenfield, in Southfield and people are moving out, even just across Pierce.

There are really more than 2 neighborhoods. There's Southfield south of Ten Mile, north of Ten Mile near Greenfield, north of Ten Mile near Southfield, and north of Lincoln.
In Oak Park there's north of Lincoln near Greenfield, with some people moving closer to Coolidge, and between Lincoln and Ten Mile closer to Coolidge. Then there's south of Ten Mile near Greenfield.

The community is nice and welcoming. There is a very large yeshivish community but this is OOT. Yeshivish is a broad term. There are two main schools and one is "no TV" but really, there is a big mix in both schools.

LOTS of shuls. In the Ten Mile area, Rabbi Klein's shul is big with young families; on Lincoln, there's Aish Kodesh with LOTS of shuls in between. There is a big feeling of community in those shuls. There are people who babysit I know a few names but am past that so don't know everyone.

I don't know prices of apartments but the complexes people look in are Rue Versailles in Oak Park near Ten Mile and the Yeshiva apartments in Southfield at Lincoln and Greenfield. Near Lincoln and Balfour in Oak Park are also a few complexes - Lincoln Woods and Lincoln Briar though Lincoln Briar isn't too popular now. I might rent for a bit till I got an idea of which neighborhood I want to live in. The housing market is really competitive though, lots of new families moving to town.

Hope this gets you started.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 7:34 am

South Oak Park the borders are East to West Sussex to Harding and North South is Sutherland to Ten mile (no one actually lives on 10 mile) You will find a few people a block or two out of these blocks but the houses get significantly smaller once you leave the blocks. This is the most yeshivish area of town and its the most concentrated. It is not expanding because once you leave the borders I mentioned above the houses get smaller and the houses in this area are not too big to begin with. There are definitely young families in the area but it is not the hot place to buy.

Southfield South of ten is the up and coming place to buy these days. The borders are constantly changing and people are spreading further out. Like the other poster said the community now is between Pennsylavania, Pierce and the Greenfield and ten mile as the other border streets. Once you leave the few main blocks in this area the frum are pretty spread out.

There are two "pockets" in the North Oak Park Community. One is the between Talbot, Gardner, Lincoln and Harding and the other is between Briar, Kipling Ten mile and Lincoln.

Southfield North of Ten is the biggest community I would say. The borders there are Southfield Rd, Greenfield Rd, Ten Mile and Cedarcroft. As you go closer to Southfiled Rd West and closer to Cedarcroft North it gets more and more spreadout.

There is also a community called Young Israel of Southfield area. I am not familiar at all with that area. 99 percent of that are sends to the MO school Akiva.

There are around 1200 families there. It is an an oot community. They have Chabad, MO but the vast majority are plain old Litvish. The litvish range from very Yeshivish thru TV. It is big enough that they have the whole spectrum and you will find your crowd whatever type you are. It is a very welcoming warm commnunity.

There are tons of shuls, too many to list here. Whatever type you are you will find a shul that caters to your crowd. As far as schools, the biggest school is Bais Yehuda/Bais Yaakov. It has girls PN-12 and boys PN-8. It is a wonderful school. The beauty of oot schools in my opinion is that they cater to a large spectrum of parents. There is much less labeling going on. I actually went to Bais Yaakov as a kid and now I am choosing east coast schools for my kids and I keep saying I wish there was a school like Bais Yehuda/Bais Yaakov. Everyone just goes there, way less labeling etc. Anyway Bais Yehuda caters to the very yeshivish thru the left end of the Yeshiva community. You will even find a few kipa sruga parents in the school. There are approximately 30-40 kids in a grade and most grades have two parrallel classes. There is another school called Darchai Torah. They also have girls PN-12 and boys pn-8. It is smaller than Bais Yaaov/Bais Yehuda. I think there are around 15 kids per grade. When Darchai started it was the frummer school but as time went on the gap closed. I would say 70 percent of the families in the Yeshiva community can fit into either school. There is also Yeshiva Gedolah for boys which has 9th grade - Kollel and there is a boys highschool in West Bloomfield that is pretty small but has a good english program. There is also an MO school and Chabad schools bt I am not familiar with either. There are plenty of babysitters/playgroups in every area of the community.

What is a realistic expectation for renting at least a 2-bedroom apt? What about buying a house?]

The two bedroom apartments start at around 750. The housing there is very very affordable. You can get a smaller three bedroom ranch for around 120k. A bigger 4 bedroom colonial would cost around 250k.[b]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating