Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Europe marks 60 years since WWII

roza

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 6:59 pm
Quote:
Russia paid the heaviest price of any nation for Adolf Hitler's aggression, losing some 26 million soldiers and citizens. Around 6 million Jews were murdered during World War II, which cost some 50 million lives in total. China and Poland also suffered massive losses, as did Germany, Japan, Britain, France, the United States and many other countries. By comparison, some 10 million people perished in World War I, the previous most bloody conflict in Europe.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/......html

Quote:
There are about a thousand Soviet WWII veterans resident in New York City now
The Brighton Beach concert hall gathered Russian immigrants in a gala as numerous veterans of the Great Patriotic War, 1941-45, were receiving 60th Victory Anniversary medals. (my grandmother is one of them...she went all the way to Germany, to Victory...)
All in all, approximately four thousand medals will be awarded. "Decoration ceremonies are already over in Philadelphia, Pa., and in New Jersey, where close on a thousand received the honorable medals. There are about a thousand Soviet WWII veterans resident in New York City now. Their average age is 82, and there are seven centenarians among them," added Mr. Garmonin.

Harry C. Saunders, the first U.S. soldier who entered the Austrian Nazi concentration camp Mauthausen during its liberation on August 5, 1945, waves as he is pushed in his wheelchair by former prisoners and liberators during a commemoration ceremony in Austria May 8, 2005. The capitulation of Hitlers's Nazi Germany

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 3:07 am
four thousand medels shock that many people are actually alive? they should have given it to all the survivors they deserve a medel.

sarahd

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 7:33 am
Roza, what was your grandmother doing in the army? Was she a nurse, or something else?

SWatson

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 7:41 am
And my grandmother and grandfather went through the war as well till Germany. My greit grand father dissapeared during the WWII and till now we have never found any evidence of where he died or got killed or anything, we searched through museums , organisations etc.
My grandmother was a doctor-surgeon, grandfather was ingeneer - building bridges etc.
My grandfather died when I was born, but my grandmother died right before we moved to Israel Speechless

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 10:27 am
And sadly, the Europe is forgetting about the war Exploding anger

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:30 am
my calander says it is 57 years since the war. is it sixty or 57?

Chanie

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:40 am
60 years since the camps were liberated (1945). 57 years since the state of Israel (1948).

SWatson

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:46 am
The war was over at 1945
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics