Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Life revolving around naptime?

dr pepper

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:08 pm
especially in the summer, what do you do with your kids regarding naps?

neither of my kids nap outside. maybe in the carseat, but to really not be complete messes, they need about 3 hours of solid naptime. my older one hurts herself when she's tired. my baby just screams and screams and screams some more.

as a result, I find myself stuck in the house every day, revolving life around their naptime. people tell me they need fresh air, parks, etc, that what I do isn't right. but I don't think it's right to deny them sleep that they so desperately need.

they get some outdoor time in the morning, in the yard, but not too much because that is when the baby takes her first nap, and my older wakes up late and mostly likes the play in the house.

oh it also cuts into what I need to do. if I have to go shopping or anything, they make a scene the entire time. and my friends don't like when I have to end playdates so early and then don't understand why I can't come over in the afternoon.

I feel like everyone is telling me I'm doing things wrong... is it really so bad? are my kids the only one who need sleep like this? I don't get it!

ganizzy

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:24 pm
my kids also need their nap times and its hard to get things done. my younger usually naps in the morning but on shabbos and sunday when my older is home, I keep the baby up until 12 :00 and put them to sleep together, otherwise theyre both stuck in the house being quite while the other sleeps. its hard for that hour and a half but its worth it. I usually try to take them out of the house to keep the younger one more occupied so shes not as kvetchy

shayna82

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:47 pm
my kids need their daily nap at 12-2. one is almost four and one just turned two. my friends know, that is the time reserved for nap time. there is nothing wrong with it. summer days are long and hot,and there is plenty time for outdoor play. when my kids dont nap,due to vacation, or just a different day for some reason, it is madness at around 4 p.m- u are the mom, be confident and strong with your choices, you know your kids best.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:49 pm
Dr Pepper, (un)fortunately, for babies/toddlers who do not sleep int he carriage, live does revolve basically around naptime. The good news is that the day is long enough so that you can still do your errands after their morning nap and take the to the park in early evening. I usually do my errands around 2 or 3 pm after his nap, and about 5 or 6 pm I sometimes go with him outside on our block where he has fun with other block kids. On the rare day that he wakes up late'ish and I only have one or two errands I do them at about 10 am and am back home by 12 for his nap. You have to work around his naps.... it's just too bad BH Smile.

shayna82

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:57 pm
I dont see it as being "just too bad" I see it as part of life, like breakfast, toilet training and kids getting sick. its part of the daily schedule. everyone is happier that way. kids use up a lot of energy and get overtired.

queen

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 2:00 pm
try to get going earlier in the morning.... this way getting errands and kids out of the house before they need to hit the sack. Idea

Esther01

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 2:25 pm
my 21 month old sleeps from 11-2, my other kids are out from 9-2:30, so if I can get anything done outside before 11, that's great. but I also go walking in the morning...
I do groceries either with the whole family (3 kids) or over the phone. other errands either wait for the night or dh does it.
that's life, and our kids deserve the best care, if they need their naps in their bed, that's what they should get.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 3:24 pm
don't base it on what your friends/neighbors think ... do what you feel is best for your kids/family ... my kids also took long naps (actually I would just nap at the same time)

happymom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 3:44 pm
I agree with u that kids need thier naps and they should be in thier bads or cribs. I also have had to leave places early and I cant go places certain times cuz of my kids naps, oh well..... its life with kdis (if u want kids who arent crying all the time Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics