Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anyone dye hair under a sheitel

shnitzel

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 12:18 pm
I recently mentioned to my husband that I wish it was socially acceptable to get a sheitel with some blue streaks because I like the look. He suggested that I dye the tips of my real hair. It would be covered and even if my sheitel or tichell slips no one would notice. I really want to but I'm slightly worried about going to mikvah and the mikvah lady seeing me and commenting or being horrified. My daughter is in Bais Yaakov and I don't think blue hair is common for a Bais Yaakov mother.

fluffernutter

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 12:39 pm
There may be a problem with the dye being a chatzizah so ask your LOR before doing it in that sense.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:03 pm
funny story no idea how it works chatziza or not..but a relative of mine was a photographer at a wedding and some kid pulled its parents sheitel off ( I think chassdish wedding) and the mothers hair was died pink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was prob AWKWARD!!!!!

spring13

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:13 pm
I have a friend who dyed her hair pink just for fun: she covers with tichels only though, not a BY type. I'd love to get blue or purple highlights some time. I'm not sure about the chatzitza issue, but why would it be different than women dying hair to cover grays? If it's not meant to wash out, I would expect it's ok. If you clear that issue up, go for it. Then you can tell any mikvah lady who asks that you got a psak about it. They don't get to judge your aesthetic taste!

Twinster

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 3:38 pm
I did ombré / highlights but not full hair so it won't look weird with my wigs.
There are temporary dyes - regular and chalk. You can do it on occasion and wash it before the mikvah.
Permanent dyes aren't problematic. Only temporary dyes are a chatzitza.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 6:37 pm
It's your hair, no one sees it. And if you're really worried about the mikvah lady, just pretend to be so makpid about covering that you keep a towel on your head till right before you dunk. (Also, my guess is that she wouldn't really be able to tell with wet hair anyway.) and if you change your mind, just trim the dyed part. Have fun!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:04 pm
I have a very chareidi sil that dye's her hair blonde under a sheitel

Rose816

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 4:49 am
I say go for it!

I don't think the mikvah lady will even notice, and even if she does, it's not her business to tell the whole community about your hair (which I doubt she would anyway).

You should enjoy your hair, and feel beautiful. If you'd be happier adding some blue, definitely do it! Smile

Also, as for me personally, I totally plan on dying my hair. I was naturally dirty blonde when I got married..and my hair is a dark dark brown now from lack of sunlight. I prefer lighter hair, so I'm gonna go for it Smile I know it's not blue, but it's a similar concept.

bigblueyes

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 5:12 am
Definitly go for it. A bais yaakov mom is one who covers her hair, doesnt matter what color it is!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 6:03 am
I once dyed my hair red. Having black hair, I needed to bleach it and it became like straw. On the safer side, I got a cheap synthetic sheitel with blue streaks that I wear at home.

honeygold

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 7:03 am
Yes, go for it. No one but your dh really sees it anyway. The mikva lady probably wont notice with wet hair. I recently dyed my hair blonde to see how it looks and I am happy, it was worthwhile.

ydragm

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 8:31 am
Definitely do it. I did it cuz I was getting all white and it was showing on the side when I wore my snood . I'm to young for white hair (guess it runs in the family (: and I feel great now. You do have to redye every 2-3 months

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 28 2015, 8:50 am
Even if the ML does notice it, it is none of her business and if she went and told anyone I would be HORRIFIED!

So I say go for it - I did it once before it was awesome I loved it. (I did red streak highlights). One day will get the time to do it again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics