Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Up for shlichus - Do I need to tell that I'm pregnant?

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:14 am
Someone I know may be able to offer me a job this fall. The job is shlichus-related, and I could basically work from home and the hours would probably be part-time and flexible. Now, I'm due in November with my first. Do I need to tell my potential employer this? We both want to agree to my terms of work in the next few weeks. But I'm not yet at 5 months, so I don't want to tell her. At the same time, even though I'll be working from home with flexible hours (ideal for a new mother), this certainly could affect my work. I hope it won't, or that it won't affect it too much, but I really don't know what to expect since this is my first. Will I be able to work a few hours a day?

mimivan

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:35 am
I think you should be honest, because she is going to find out eventually. I went to a job interview 5 months pregnant last year with some trepidation, but I got the job b'h. The main concern my boss had was what kind of childcare I would have at home. (it was a work at home job)

It is a mistake to think you can work at home without childcare (unless you are working literally just a few (2 or so) hours. This is especially true if this is your first child (or more so, I guess, if there is more than one at home). I am speaking from experience; I thought I could work from home without childcare and lost another client (not the initial one I mentioned) because I made so many mistakes! Your sitter/husband can be home to watch the baby and you can take time out to nurse.

In other words, tell your potential boss that you are pregnant, it is confidential and you are not publicising it. But also let her know what childcare (and you should have some!) you have available.

hadasa

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:58 am
If you're talking about true Shlichus, meaning you expect (barring unforeseen circumstances) to be at this job until Moshiach comes, then I don't think you have to say anything before your fifth month.

The person who is hiring you knows he is hiring a young woman, who, in the course of a long-term job, is expected to have a number of children IY"H along the way.

But if this is not a lifelong (until Moshiach comes) commitment, and just a temporary job, then I think you should say something before he hires you.

chanab

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 8:29 am
I think that any prospective frum employer should realize that any married woman that he is hiring could be or at any time could become pregnant.

JMto2

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:20 pm
first off hiring a married lady you are at risk of her being pregnant etc. if you do not feel comfortable telling her you are pregnant than I would say you should wait. if something comes up and she says something about maternity leave etc and feel you need to tell her do that but from what you are posting it seems that you would be able to work after the baby and all I would say wait it out

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:24 pm
I would definitly in confidence tell your employer before you are hired.
Once again you are not publisicing it, but to be upfront and honest about your situation your employer may want to know such stuff?

MommyLuv

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 5:11 pm
Think about it from the employer's POV....

They're hiring someone who will need to take a leave of absence in a few months, for at least a few weeks. They will have to see how to handle your workload without you, when the baby comes iyh.

I think telling them ahead of time is only right.

oh, and bsha'a tova!! Smile

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 8:19 pm
I think that this whole not telling before the fifth month is a taken too much to o the extreme.
The Rebbe said not to publisize a pregnancy before the fifth month, not that it must remain a secret at all costs.
This a relevent to your employer and she deserves to know. J
ust like you tell your parents and doctor but dont go hanging up a pic from a eight week unltrasound at your husbands desk at work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics