Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I love you- kids

Seraph

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:17 pm
Do you think its important for a parent to tell their kids often that they love them? I know some people whos parents rarely ever told them they loved them, and my parents made sure to always tell us they loved us, and I notice such a huge difference between me and the people raised without all the "I love you"s.
Someone I spoke to said that a parent doesn't have to tell their kid they love them, as long as they show them via their actions.
I strongly disagree. It made such a profound effect on me that my mother always reitterated to us that she will always love us, and that nothing we do could ever make her love us less, because we're a part of her, and she'll always always love us.
I'm a very big proponent on parenting kids with love. I think its good to smother them with love. (That doesn't mean spoiling them- you can discipline with love easily as well.)

What do you think about smothering kids with love? Do you do it? How often do you tell your kids you love them?
I think its important to tell your kids you love them at least a couple of times a day. Especially if you ever have a fight with the kid (when the kid is older), its very important to end that fight with "Don't worry, I still love you."

What's your take?

gold21

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:18 pm
I tell my baby all the time!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE him

yersp

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:20 pm
I say it all the time to both my kids. In fact, last week when I was walking my daughter to playgroup she turned to me and tells me, you know mommy, I love you sooooooooooo much!! It really made my day!!

smiley:)

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:21 pm
I definately tell my son I love him. Of course it is just as important if not more to show them throughout life you love them. But why would it hurt to say it? I also notice with my son that he (like most kids) thrives on positive reinforcement. He is not even 2, but as he was going to sleep tonight I told him I loved him and I said "you are such a good boy." And I could tell from his reaction that he was so happy. He loves when I am proud of him etc.
Smothering a child with love? Depends what that means. Showing you love them is great. Preventing them from being who they are or need to be because of your love is bad.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:27 pm
In French "I love you" sounds weird towards kid. It is more "I love you so much" or "my heart" or "I adore you", or just showing by actions and hugs and kisses. I don't see myself being like "Je t'aime" with my dd... and certainly not with a son... but it's probably cultural again. Some people kiss their children on the lips, I happen to think it's awful, but for example Russians kiss people on the lips all the time...
I don't remember my parents telling me "I love you", they always used different ways.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 4:33 pm
my ex mom-in-law kissed on the lips...yuck..

looked so weird

I always tell my kids Ilove them...and they tell me back...it's n ice

Motek

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:05 pm
breslov wrote:

I think its important to tell your kids you love them at least a couple of times a day.

there was a thread some time ago, about whether posters say "I love you" to their spouse. The point came up regarding those who say it very often, ending phone conversations etc. with it, several times a day, that when something is said overly much, it loses its specialness. It becomes like, "howareyouthat'snice".

su7kids

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:41 pm
My brother and I grew up in the same home, with the same parents, and my mother never told us she loved us.

It was extremely important to me to hear it, and I never did. My brother, on the other hand, was totally ok with it.

She passed away 10 years ago, and I spent 5 weeks with her before she passed, and every day I told her I loved her, and she only replied ONCE on the day before I left, "I love you too".

My kids, I beleive with every fiber of my being, to say I love you to them, and once, one of my sons said "But mommy, we KNOW you love us." So I said to him, you h ave a choice, I can either be like my mother and NEVER tell you, or you can have me telling you every time we speak.

He thought for a split second, and said "Ok, go on"!!!

I think our kids need to hear it, and we definitely need to show it.

Most kids don't realize what acts of love we do for them daily, until they themselves are parents, and that's LATE in the game.

I think kids need to hear it all the time, as long as you mean it.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:05 pm
I say it about 20 times a day!

shopaholic

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:01 pm
DD says Shema at night & thinks the last few words are, "Good night. I love you!" because we always say it to her. Everynight before bedtime I say I love you to each of my kids. It's just natural.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:57 pm
One of the first sentences all my kids learned was how to say I LOVE YOU. I tell it to them all the time. I think it is important to tell it to them and to show it to them

Seraph

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 2:33 am
smiley:) wrote:

Smothering a child with love? Depends what that means. Showing you love them is great. Preventing them from being who they are or need to be because of your love is bad.

Smothering with love meaning just being very loving to them, showing them a million times a day how much you love them, telling it to them often. (So often that they may even get sick of it. Wink just kidding, kids never kid sick of being told you love them.)

mumsy23

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 2:45 am
I always tell my dd that I love her. She's 2 so I play games with her "You know Abba, I really love my ______" (Insert name here). She loves it, I can see her beaming whenever I say that!

dr pepper

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 2:53 am
I tell my kids at least 5 times a day. because sometimes the feeling is so overwhelming I just have to come out and say it! I'm not saying it just to say it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics