Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Clutter

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:08 am
What is your definition of clutter?
Is it common to judge, and therefore choose to or not to associate with people, by the amount of clutter they have?

Is "busy" the same as "clutter"

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
What is your definition of clutter?
Is it common to judge, and therefore choose to or not to associate with people, by the amount of clutter they have?

Is "busy" the same as "clutter"

Clutter is defined as "a collection of things lying about in an untidy mass".

If every room in a home is cluttered it can be uncomfortable for people.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:28 am
Clutter is in the eyes of the beholder. Clutter to me is a home where every horizontal surface is covered with stuff, it may be crystal, or figurines, but to me it's just useless stuff. It's not my taste or how I live, but there is no reason for me to be bothered by it when I see it in someones home. We all get to choose how we live and we all have our own personal sense of esthetics.

Now busy is a home with kids and toys and books, or crafts lying about, but that again has no impact on my personal choices or should it be an issue of judging people or their life style.

5mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 12:29 am
Clutter is stuff you have to move to get to the stuff you want. If you are in the middle of reading a book and you set it down on the coffee table, that's not clutter. But if you have finished reading the book and it's still on the coffee table, it's clutter.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 6:14 am
My definition: We have a disabled adult family member who lives with us.

You can't walk into her room because of all the junk on the floor. Clothing, plants, reading material, food, medical supplies. Every available surface is covered. Every drawer, and the closet, is stuffed. She has overflowed all the storage space in her own bathroom, and has a big shelf plus a full bucket on the floor of ours. If you ask her to do so much as throw away an old magazine (she has stacks), she refuses, because she hasn't finished reading it yet. She has a bug problem, so we had to buy a chest freezer for the basement to store her wool items.

Last night, she informed us that she wants us to find and pay for a nonjudgmental assistant to help her vaccuum this week, someone who will just move the piles, then put them right back.

In summary, if you can clean it up in less than half an hour, it's life. More than half a day? It's a clutter problem.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:27 am
amother wrote:

In summary, if you can clean it up in less than half an hour, it's life. More than half a day? It's a clutter problem.
Do you have kids? Cleaning up toys and supper dishes and schoolwork and stuff takes more than half an hour a day in my house, and that's without trying to declutter at all.

Clutter IMO is the things that should have been thrown out or given away that are sitting around your house. Things that have no use for anyone in your household anymore, or are not worth the space they take up.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 7:38 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Do you have kids? Cleaning up toys and supper dishes and schoolwork and stuff takes more than half an hour a day in my house, and that's without trying to declutter at all.

Clutter IMO is the things that should have been thrown out or given away that are sitting around your house. Things that have no use for anyone in your household anymore, or are not worth the space they take up.

Point taken. I was thinking of how easy it is to clean a room where toddlers have been playing, and each toy has a place, compared to the junk in my relative's room.

myself

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 8:23 am
I define clutter as 'homeless' items.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics