Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
No one wears pencil skirts??
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:08 am
esheschayil wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can walk in pencil skirts! I just inherited a bunch from a friend and yes even with a kick pleat, and loose enough to be modest in my community, I feel so restricted. Give me A-line and/or pleated any day!

I agree. I have a long stride (relative to my short height Smile ) and climb a lot of stairs. No pencil skirts for me, whether or not they are in style.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:45 am
I'm not running anywhere, I just want to walk like a regular person without feeling like I'm back in the 1910s wearing a hobble skirt! I am very tall with long legs and I don't see why I should take tiny little steps all the time Wink

psd

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 12:24 pm
I don't usually shop at Walmart for clothing but they have great tznius pencil skirts for really cheap. I wear them to work almost everyday in various colors. They are also machine washable so I don't have to worry about changing out of it the second I get home.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Geor.....15373

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 2:14 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Wear it with more current tops and make sure it's tapered nicely. Skip the tunics.
Wear it with a crop top. (You can wear a blouse under the crop top for modesty.)
Wear it with a floral top.
Wear it with an oversized sweater (but in your correct size).
Wear it with fringes.
Wear patterned tights with it.
Wear shoes in a contrasting color with it.

(Don't do all those things at once! Those are a just a few ideas.)

Thanks LG!

So when you say, shoes in a contrasting color. Your pencil skirt is black, top is grey....what color shoes would you wear? (I probably shouldn't get started with this, I'll end up looking like a clown!)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 2:21 pm
Op, you can wear any color shoe-as long as it matches. I have a shoe that is multi colored and goes with many outfits. Burgendy, gray, black...too.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks LG!

So when you say, shoes in a contrasting color. Your pencil skirt is black, top is grey....what color shoes would you wear? (I probably shouldn't get started with this, I'll end up looking like a clown!)

It doesn't have to literally be a scientifically contrasting color on the color wheel! It could be a complimentary color, too. Or any other color that goes. Smile

If you want an idea for a black pencil skirt and grey top, you can wear it with patterned tights and black or grey booties, or if you want to add another color go with burgundy or dark green suede.
Don't think so deeply into it. Just have fun. If you're unsure, stick with safe colors that you know go together. Black is usually safe.

boymom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 8:50 pm
hey OP- I don't know why the store owner thinks pencil skirts are out.... wherever I walk in BP I see very trendy women dressed in every color pencil skirts. I think S&W has, elzee probably has too.... just shop around, you'll find.

I personally feel very restricted in pencil skirts- I wear my skirts like a good 3 inches below my knee and it hits at a spot that when I walk, I can't stretch my legs at all. but I love a- line skirts. can wear them any length and doesn't bother me when I walk. and I still feel nice and dressed. I love pleated , just I feel like a school girl- especially solid navy or grey. Bubble skirts- the ones that pop out by the hips are a killer. I look like an oversized hippo in them.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:51 pm
It is not that no one wears them, it may be that many companies are not making/pushing new ones. Kiki riki still makes them and some others also. Dh is in the fashion business and he is not selling any pencil skirts for the new spring line (maybe one would qualify but it has other features so its not a true pencil skirt.)

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 7:25 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
It doesn't have to literally be a scientifically contrasting color on the color wheel! It could be a complimentary color, too. Or any other color that goes. Smile

If you want an idea for a black pencil skirt and grey top, you can wear it with patterned tights and black or grey booties, or if you want to add another color go with burgundy or dark green suede.
Don't think so deeply into it. Just have fun. If you're unsure, stick with safe colors that you know go together. Black is usually safe.

Love your ideas, thanks! (Now if only I had the confidence....)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics