Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Answering the phone-don't let your kids unless u train them
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:38 pm
raizy wrote:
yes like when I am feeding a baby. or nursing and I just cant get up and get the phone. pple think that bc they ring u up. u have to jump and answer the minete they call.

well I dont . if I am feeding my baby or putting him to sleep . I will not answer the phone I will let it ring and then later I will go and check who called . if it is important I will call back.

That's fine. Most callers would much rather you let the phone ring than have your 3-yr-old pick up and waste their time. To say nothing of the fact that an untrained child may give out information you'd prefer they kept to themselves, like "mommy's going potty now".

chen

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:44 pm
Kmelion wrote:
One of the things I hate is when someone (kids AND adults) make a call and when a person picks up, the person MAKING the call says "Who is this?" instead of "Hello, is So-and-so there?" or "This is Whomever, may I speak to XYZ?"

I think this may be a cultural/ethnic thing, as I have noticed that certan groups seem to do this routinely. I agree, it is most aggravating. I usually ask "Who do you want to speak to?" if I'm feeling benevolent or bark back "who are YOU?" if I'm not. (Usually depends on the tone of voice in which they asked "who is this?") If they give me "Who is this?" again, I hang up.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:47 pm
Quote:
Children can be confused by what is going on at the other end of the phone and need to learn that no, they can't see you nod, and when someone asks for Ima or Aba you need to give them the phone.

Very true from a two yr old Smile

Talking about phone calls I have
1) called someone and asked the husband if I could speak to his wife to which I was answered "this is she" embarrassed
2) On another occasion I called asking if I called speak to the childs mother to which it replied you are "speaking to her" embarrassed

On alot of occassions people have mistaken me for my husbands secretary they don''t think it's his wife Scratching Head

HindaRochel

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:19 am
LOL Tefila...

If you ever call me now I know how to play with your mind Wink

starfish2

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 1:08 am
I got over my anger that day. However, I would think twice before continuing a conversation with a friend's child for more than a minute. I'm going to just hang up if that happens again.

My son is banned from answering the phone since he picked up two times. The first time he said "mommy's in the bathroom" (and used a more graphic term)

The second time he said "mommy's at the mikvah"

Which are both funny after the fact. My ex-husband was mortified when my son said the mikvah comment. Especially since I wasn't at the mikvah, I was just out.
However, I was a mikvah attendant in the small town we lived in and made the mistake of telling my son what I was doing (attending) while I wasn't putting him to sleep.

Seraph

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 3:28 am
From when we were very little, my parents trained us to say "Lastname Residence, may I ask who is speaking?" and then trained us to hand the phone to the right person.
Looking back, it was a drop too formal, but probably funny for the people who were calling that heard a 4 year old saying that.

chen

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:30 pm
breslov wrote:
From when we were very little, my parents trained us to say "Lastname Residence, may I ask who is speaking?" and then trained us to hand the phone to the right person.
Looking back, it was a drop too formal, but probably funny for the people who were calling that heard a 4 year old saying that.

that is no longer recommended, even by etiquette experts like Emily Post, because of security concerns. A pity, but reality is reality.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 2:52 am
chen wrote:
breslov wrote:

that is no longer recommended, even by etiquette experts like Emily Post, because of security concerns. A pity, but reality is reality.

Can you explain what you mean about security concerns?

su7kids

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 6:59 am
breslov wrote:

Can you explain what you mean about security concerns?

Here in the United States, the reality is that there is a lot of crime, and people abducting kids, etc, and lots of crank and prank phone calls, so its best not to reveal last names, etc.

My voice mail is in my own voice, so if you hear my voice and you know me, it doesn't matter who you called, if you know me, you'll leave a message,if you don't, you won't.

Also, with children we are concerned nowadays about putting their names on their clothing etc, because some stranger may come up to you and say "Hi, Jane" and you figure, if he knows your name, he must know you. But you don't realize he read it on your shirt....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics