Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chicken pox
Previous  1  2

Yc18

Post Mon, Jun 21 2004, 12:20 pm
Chanie,
if an adult gets chicken pox for the first time it will be chicken pox not shingles. shingles is only if the adult has already gotten the chicken pox.

queenie

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 12:27 am
I know people that have had very severe complications from the chicken pox. I can pm about it if you want.

The CDn pediatric society strongly recommends it. every dr I have ever spoken to recommends it. It's extremely effective and if you are in the less than 5% that gets it, the case will be mild. I have seen kids suffer horribly from it. I wouldn't put my kids through a disease I could avoid. I would do it very young and then for girls you can revaccinate them if you want when they get engaged. Or, when in high school they go for a blood test do it then.

I can't believe a parent would want to let a child suffer when you can avoid it. All those people that avoid the vaccine might one day Has V'Shalom be at home with a bunch of nauseated feverish itchy kids, and have to call in to their boss at work to say they aren't going in and then they might change their mind. It might be after a few sleepless nights but I bet they will change their mind. Maybe when their child is sick at the same time a new baby comes home.....

amother

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 3:52 am
what happens when you have chicken pox is some of the virus stays in your system dormant and later in life if you are very run down it has the potential to surface as shingles.
You can't catch shingles from chicken pox but I think you can catch chicken pox from shingles

Tefila

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 3:17 pm
I know of an adult man in his 50's who just got a bad case of shingles that attacked the nervous system and half of his face is parylized he is jut now starting to be able to blink w/h both eyes. Yael make sure your kids a) get the chicken pox or b) the vaccine b/4 12yrs of age.

p.s. Here the vaccine is free, double check on that b/c it's only a recent development!

raizy

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 10:04 pm
freileich is it free in montreal too?my hubby never had the chicken pox.and my kids also did not catch it from anyone.I made them even drink from someone who had it and it didnt help . my kids for some reason dont catch it. I know the day that I dont want them to get it they will catch it.

I am more worried for my hubby though. my cousin almost died from it. it went into her lungs and stufff. but she was an adult with five kids

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 10:14 pm
raizy wrote:
I know the day that I dont want them to get it they will catch it.

My brother got chicken pocks a little bit b4 my sis wedding. BH by the wedding he wasn't contagous anymore but he sure still had a lot of scabs. Rolling Eyes Talk about great timing!

IndyMom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 10:29 pm
my organic chemistry teacher told me his 8 year old daughter had gotten shingles. I think a science teacher woudl know the difference between shingles and chicken pox. He said it is mostly around the stomach area and it is more of a rash, not spots. So, I guess it's not just older people that get it.

I do not vaccinate my kids for diseases that I don't feel are life threatening. I do not like to inject viruses into my children's systems. I will vaccinate them for chicken pox when they are older if they still haven't caught it by then. Unfortunatetly it is harder to catch these days. If anyoen in the midwest area hears of a case, PM me. Smile

miriam

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 12:32 am
IndyMom wrote:
If anyone in the midwest area hears of a case, PM me. Smile

Ditto for me, but in the Pittsburgh area Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics