Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How do I teach tznius to boys?

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:00 pm
how can I teach my boys the issue of tznius? I think it also in some ways applies as much to boys as girls.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:28 pm
I agree, it does apply to both. Depending on their age, maybe you could tell them it is about self respect and being decent in front of people?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 6:22 pm
Part of being tznius is looking presentable, so teaching about being clean and neat (ie. washing hands/face, tucking in shirts, etc.).

DOn't know exactly what age, but I know toddlers who like to lift up their shirts to show off their tummies...so, maybe teaching that keeping tummies covered is tznius? (obviously, if they are going swimming or something, this isn't the same, and they will get that.)

miriamnechama

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 4:53 am
they are 7 and 4 but they don't seem to care to show themselve without clothes to neighbours when eg changing for showers etc

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 1:17 pm
theywill pick up some of it from school and camp.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, May 24 2007, 9:49 am
hopefully or too bad but I think in school there is not enough emphasis on tznius and they're too young for canp.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 6:07 am
I have boys and they taught me. They told me from cheder that you should get dressed under the covers, etc. I never let kids out of their room undressed or with another person who doesn't need to be with them (adult or older sibling helping in the bath or toilet or when they needed help dressing). It is best if they learn it really young.

At this age don't make long speeches. Make a rule that you are fully dressed or in pjs if you want to be in any public area like living room, dining room, kitchen, family room or porch. Also teach them to dress with the bedroom or bathroom door closed. When I got to 3 boys in one room they dressed in the bathroom after their shower. When I got to 2 rooms with 3 boys each the older taught the younger and Ima was unnecessary.

I was a single parent but in a normal situation get dh involved as well, esp with the 7 yr old. When my boys started getting to 9-10 and had more serious questions I sent them straight to dh, ditto when the question of 'shmiras eynaim' came up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics