Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
6yo boy with concentration n learning difficulties

Roses4me

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:12 pm
Anyone can help with ideas how to help my 6yo concentrate better in class. He is falling behind. He is a bright kid but progresses slowly bc of concentration. -that's what the evaluation showed.
What can I do to help? OT was recommended. What do they do there? And that he have help at school or with learning. How else can I help him?
Anyone with experience?
Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:45 pm
Teacher can try seating him in the front or maybe he just needs asmaller class setting to succeed

momwifedaughter

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 9:22 pm
you can pm me. I have lots of experience and bh my son is a big boy by now. Dr alexander in London was a great or greatest shaliach Burech HashemQ!!!

vet techy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 10:53 pm
I work for an eye doctor in Westchestet NY that specializes in prism glasses and seen many patients come in with the same problem and were helped with his glasses.
Pm me if you want more info.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 11:57 pm
OT yes.
My son is exactly like this. It's not something they can help.

I am starting OT this month for my son too.

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:33 am
whats that drs name and number please??

Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:53 pm Post subject: re: 6yo boy with concentration n learning difficulties
I work for an eye doctor in Westchestet NY that specializes in prism glasses and seen many patients come in with the same problem and were helped with his glasses.

vet techy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:46 am
momwifedaughter wrote:
whats that drs name and number please??

Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:53 pm Post subject: re: 6yo boy with concentration n learning difficulties

Dr. Benjamin Nayor 914-345-1490

Roses4me

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:47 am
How would I know if he needs something like this? What are symptoms to look out for?

vet techy wrote:

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 6:53 am
Be careful. From an article in the NY times about prism glasses:

Quote:

The American Academy of Pediatrics also essentially declared war on behavioral optometry last summer. It reviewed 35 years of the literature in support of vision therapy and issued a statement — in conjunction with other ophthalmological associations — condemning the therapy and its contention that it could help with learning disabilities. Visual problems, it claimed, are not the basis for learning disabilities.

It issued a stern warning about the seductions of treatments that sound convincing but aren’t based on science: “Ineffective, controversial methods of treatment such as vision therapy may give parents and teachers a false sense of security that a child’s learning difficulties are being addressed, may waste family and/or school resources and may delay proper instruction or remediation.”

I believe that the first step that a concerned parent should take, upon getting such a report, is to ask to observe the classroom, or to send in a knowledgeable and qualified observer, who can report on what is going on.

That report might lead to further testing, or to short term solutions to try first.

OP, how does your DS do with homework?

vet techy

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:22 pm
Roses4me wrote:
How would I know if he needs something like this? What are symptoms to look out for?

Look at his posture see how he sits does he sit at the edge of the seat? Does he stand straight and tall? does he fold his arms or does he seem relaxed?
When he reads does he skip lines? Does he read fast or slow? Does he read for a few minutes but then has enough of the book even though he might enjoy the book?
I gave you a few examples. I would be very happy to talk to you to give you more info if you would like to get in touch with me.

vet techy

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:27 pm
[quote="imasinger"]Be careful. From an article in the NY times about prism glasses:

Quote:

The American Academy of Pediatrics also essentially declared war on behavioral optometry last summer. It reviewed 35 years of the literature in support of vision therapy and issued a statement — in conjunction with other ophthalmological associations — condemning the therapy and its contention that it could help with learning disabilities. Visual problems, it claimed, are not the basis for learning disabilities.

It issued a stern warning about the seductions of treatments that sound convincing but aren’t based on science: “Ineffective, controversial methods of treatment such as vision therapy may give parents and teachers a false sense of security that a child’s learning difficulties are being addressed, may waste family and/or school resources and may delay proper instruction or remediation.”

Where does it talk about prism glasses? I only see them talking about vision therapy not about prism glasses which is not the same.

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 10:45 pm
http://pediatrics.aappublicati...../e818

Some "light" reading

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 11:13 pm
An interesting read. Summary:

Quote:

Vision problems can interfere with the process of reading, but children with dyslexia or related learning disabilities have the same visual function and ocular health as children without such conditions. Currently, there is inadequate scientific evidence to support the view that subtle eye or visual problems cause or increase the severity of learning disabilities. Because they are difficult for the public to understand and for educators to treat, learning disabilities have spawned a wide variety of scientifically unsupported vision-based diagnostic and treatment procedures. Scientific evidence does not support the claims that visual training, muscle exercises, ocular pursuit-and-tracking exercises, behavioral/perceptual vision therapy, “training” glasses, prisms, and colored lenses and filters are effective direct or indirect treatments for learning disabilities. There is no valid evidence that children who participate in vision therapy are more responsive to educational instruction than children who do not participate.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 01 2016, 12:53 am
I'm never sure whether these studies are done well because it could be that the results apply to certain subsets of the population and the studies may not zero in on that.

I'm not one to recommend vision therapy across the board but personally I remember when I was in school I had a hard time focusing on text. I often saw double. Nobody ever knew because nobody ever ASKED me if I was seeing double so I never bothered to mention it. And it's not like I couldn't see straight, just that if I relaxed the text would slide around and double up. I COULD focus and because everyone always TOLD me to pay attention I just sort of assumed I was lazy or not interested enough to bother. I did not have any observable difficulty with reading because I could focus when it mattered, I could devour English books that were interesting to me and read snippets when called on. But you better believe I wasn't following along in hour-long chumash lessons with pesukim and meforshim and just tons and tons of printed text. Where you had to find the right place on the page and follow it and keep to it and find it again if you spaced out - forget it. Also switching focus between the board and my desk was such a pain as to be almost impossible. That was an issue even before the chumash-with-rashi problem, there was copying from the board as early as second grade if not sooner and I just couldn't pull it off- at best I did it way more slowly than anyone else so I was always way behind.

So is a behavioral optometrist or prism glasses likely to solve op's son's problem? I would have to guess no. At 6 years old with an overall "concentration" problem I wouldn't bet my money on the eyes until more things are ruled out and there are more reasons to specifically suspect this. But I also wouldn't say the whole industry is a bunch of BS. from what I hear, the eye exercises and maybe prism glasses (though I don't know much about the latter) help with things like what I experienced. Unlikely to make the difference on their own between a non-reader and a reader, but possibly could make the difference between someone struggling to keep up and follow along and someone fluent and confident.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics