Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Very happy with your less than custom kitchen in Bklyn?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 12:02 pm
I was considering putting in a custom kitchen for before Pesach, and canceled plans because I ran out of time, considering the time it takes to get custom cabinets. Is anyone very happy with their kitchen if you used stock cabinets or semi custom cabinets?

If you are, where are the cabinets from?

TIA

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 12:04 pm

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 12:07 pm
Express kitchen and bath in lkwd

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:04 pm
Anyone in Brooklyn?

And,

Even if you had thousands more to spend on your kitchen cabinets today, would you choose the same cabinets?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:15 pm
Yes I went around to high end stores to see the difference. I still liked what EKB had. The installer I used installs high end and couldnt belive my cabinets were chinese. He was impressed. I did not take EKB's cheepest line

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:33 pm
duplicate

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:34 pm
I did a lot of research when I did my kitchen and decided to go with Kraftmaid. I think they are what are called semi-custom. My analogy was to a Honda - well made for a balbatish type of person. As I recall, they were recommended by Consumer Reports.

At any rate, they have a huge selection of doors - woods as well as all kinds of ways to customize your choices. It's been awhile but as I recall you can also upgrade the boxes if desired. Frankly, you can wind up with relatively inexpensive (moderate) to very expensive depending on what your choices are. I can't imagine not being able to design a kitchen that completely suits your needs.

That said, I have relatively simple tastes in terms of my style so I wanted what is called a Shaker door in cherry wood. I didn't want the very ornate door styles nor did I want the kind of cabinets which have varying heights. And I especially did not want any open space at the top of the cabinets - AS IF I was ever willingly going to get up there and dust on a frequent basis so all I think of is the shmootz. LOL

I put a lot of thought into what I needed and wanted in terms of storage and accessibility since I have a relatively small kitchen and love to cook.

They also have a European type of line which is for those people who like a sleeker modern look.

Not sure what you mean by custom. I know people who had the contractors build the cabinets on site but there are some very expensive cabinet lines which I had looked at which call themselves custom as well.

There is a Gardenweb website which has an amazing forum on kitchens, appliances etc. When I was researching my kitchen, I found the people to be an indispensable source of information especially in terms of stuff like best sinks/faucets and where I could get the best prices for those items.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I went around to high end stores to see the difference. I still liked what EKB had. The installer I used installs high end and couldnt belive my cabinets were chinese. He was impressed. I did not take EKB's cheepest line

Thanks so much.

About how many linear feet is your kitchen,
and what did cabinets cost (youre anonymous)
and how many weeks/months did it take from purchase of cabinets to delivery/installation??

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:22 pm
Total was 5425.56 including tax and delivery
This also includes cost of one wall of custom cabinets as my cealing on that side was sloped. The stock was delivered the next week . The customs took longer as it was in middle of chinese new year at the time.
I have to figure out the linear size of kitchen

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 3:37 pm
Powderblue, where did you buy the Kraftmade cabinets? Did they do the layout for you as well?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics