Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit- Southfield and Oak Park please read!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 9:55 am
I have a lot of questions about Detroit!
How big is the community?
What are the haskkafic leanings?
Is it a normal, frum open minded accepting place?
Whats the social life like? Were a very friendly couple that like have a lot of friends:)
What are the schools like (girls, boys elementary and highschool)? Do they offer a good solid well rounded education? Are the teachers competant and warm (on the whole obviously)?
What are the amenities like?
Would a guy in a streimel stick out or would he be accepted?
Housing I hear is very cheap is that right?
Is tuition the average vast expense (lol...)?
Babysitters?
Also I hear theres two neighbourhoods- are they specifically different types like young and older or more yeshivish etc..? or just a nice mix in both?
And my final question: anything else you think I should know before deciding to move to detroit?
TIA!

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
Whats the social life like? Were a very friendly couple that like have a lot of friends:)
What are the schools like (girls, boys elementary and highschool)? Do they offer a good solid well rounded education? Are the teachers competant and warm (on the whole obviously)?
Babysitters?
Also I hear theres two neighbourhoods- are they specifically different types like young and older or more yeshivish etc..? or just a nice mix in both?
And my final question: anything else you think I should know before deciding to move to detroit?
TIA!

Don't know why you got 99 views and no answers. There are other threads on Detroit though.
The community has at least 1300 affiliated families, my guess up to 100 more that are shomer Shabbos.
The community is not monolithic but in the OP-Sfld corridor will probably feel most comfortable if you would send your kids to a yeshiva day school.
As far as social life, I can't really tell you but you would probably like to check out Ahavas Olam, Rabbi Klein's shul.
The schools are good. Kids get into great yeshivos and sems. The teachers appreciate the kids as the people they are and who they can become.
As far as amenities, you should be able to find what you need.
Since you mention shtreimel, another shul to check out is Rabbi Kostelitz's, aka Aish Kodesh aka Dovid ben Nochum.
Tuition isn't cheap. I can't tell you details though. Don't know about babysitters.
There are more than 2 neighborhoods, but all within walking distance. Check some of the other threads for details.
Hatzlacha and hope I got the convo. going.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Babysitters?
TIA!

All types of hashkofos
Yes, friendly and open minded
I'm not thrilled with the schools, but I'm probably picky. IMO kids do not come out with a good, well-rounded secular education. But others may disagree. There are 2 main right-wing schools plus Akivah. Bais Yehuda and Darchei Torah. Both are preschool - 8 for boys and girls, and girls high schools. My boys have almost no English homework. Would like them to have to write a book report or two, daily math problems, etc. None. Kids coming out are not strong in secular subjects unless parents go out of their way to supplement on their own.
Haven't seen any streimels but people are overall laid back and I don't think it would be weird.
Tuition is expensive, yes. Around 9k per kid I think?
Housing is cheap but UNAVAILABLE. We've been looking for housing for a good long time (2 years) and finally had to "settle" for something we didn't want and overpaid on it. The frum community is growing and creeping south (ie, towards Detroit proper) and therefore you can find cheaper housing but in a more mixed neighborhood.
If you live in a very frum neighborhood, you'll have lots of teenage girls willing to babysit. Also married ladies who do in their houses for day time hours. Not hard to find.
Each neighborhood has different sections with different types. You should really probably rent first and spend a year before buying so you'll know where you want to live.
You need a job here- or your DH does. Don't move unless you have something solid.
Previous poster wrote about Ahavas Olem - Rabbi Klein's shul - that shul is def the younger crowd and while everyone is very friendly, it's def the more "in" crowd with lots of kids in beautiful stylish clothing etc. and long pretty shaitels. But they probably do have more social events than other shuls with older crowds.

(Sorry - ETA to change "wrong" to "wrote")

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 5:46 pm
I grew up in Detroit but haven't lived there in 20 years. I thought my secular education was decent--good enough to get a masters from an Ivy League university. School had a warm friendly vibe then but that may have changed.

To the previous poster, what do you mean the community is creeping south? The furthest south when I was growing up was the Chabad neighborhood by 9 mile road and Coolidge and now that areA is considered pretty decrepit and even most Chabad families don't live there anymore. Just curious.

Houses in oak park are tiny but if you buy in Southfield closer to Southfield road you can get a nice spacious house for a good price.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in Detroit but haven't lived there in 20 years. I thought my secular education was decent--good enough to get a masters from an Ivy League university. School had a warm friendly vibe then but that may have changed.

To the previous poster, what do you mean the community is creeping south? The furthest south when I was growing up was the Chabad neighborhood by 9 mile road and Coolidge and now that areA is considered pretty decrepit and even most Chabad families don't live there anymore. Just curious.

Houses in oak park are tiny but if you buy in Southfield closer to Southfield road you can get a nice spacious house for a good price.

I think she wasn't counting 9 Mile Chabad, no one's moving there anymore, between 10 and Lincoln near Coolidge is becoming the 9 Mile Chabad. Northfield was - still is- the southern border in Oak Park and until recently Arbor was kind of the southern border in Southfield. Now people are moving as far south as Pennsylvania just north of Mt. Vernon (9.5 Mile).

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Babysitters?
TIA!

Detroit is a very very nice warm community that is big enough and small enough. I moved out 7 years ago and can list you on one hand how many strimels u knew of in the city. Even the streimels that were there are a far cry from boro park. It is a very open city and not too boxy and no one will think ur odd but keep in mind no one there eats only heimish brands, the schools say knee socks they dont say tights etc. South oak park is definitely the most yeshivish but most people will fit into most neighborhoods but if definitely makes sense to rent before you buy to get a feel of the city. Housing is.reasonable but going up pretty fast and anything decent is.snatched up in a second. I think now for decent condition 4 bdrm u should be prepared to pay.250. I went to bais yaakov so I can only speak for that not darchai but the education was fine. I had no problem in college. Right after I graduated the school actually started offering some classes that u can get college credits for. Good luck with ur decision

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:22 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think she wasn't counting 9 Mile Chabad, no one's moving there anymore, between 10 and Lincoln near Coolidge is becoming the 9 Mile Chabad. Northfield was - still is- the southern border in Oak Park and until recently Arbor was kind of the southern border in Southfield. Now people are moving as far south as Pennsylvania just north of Mt. Vernon (9.5 Mile).

Interesting. When I was growing up hardly any frun families lived in Southfield south of 10. Frum borders are mainly psychological. People are so afraid of moving slightly out of the Mainstream...

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting. When I was growing up hardly any frun families lived in Southfield south of 10. Frum borders are mainly psychological. People are so afraid of moving slightly out of the Mainstream...

Thank you PF, you described the borders well.

It's not psychological. I want to move where my kids will have friends. One can always be a pioneer and buy where there are no frum people, but if the neighborhood doesn't take off, your kid will be stuck.

OP, make sure you get advice from people who are there CURRENTLY. Things change a lot in 20 years (or even 7).

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you PF, you described the borders well.

It's not psychological. I want to move where my kids will have friends. One can always be a pioneer and buy where there are no frum people, but if the neighborhood doesn't take off, your kid will be stuck.

OP, make sure you get advice from people who are there CURRENTLY. Things change a lot in 20 years (or even 7).

It is an exaggerated fear. We always lived slightly on the outskirts, at most 2-3 blocks from the mainstream. We had plenty of friends. And this goes for any frum community, not just Detroit. I wouldn't go a mile out of the mainstream because that makes walking to shul/school a hassle, but a block south or east can make a huge difference in price but little effect socially.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:

Times changed. Southfield south of ten is.the hot young neighborhood now.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 2:30 am
Thanks for all the info. I have been speaking to people who live there now but wanted the widest range possible of opinions.
DH were streimel but we dont have chassidish lifestyle (socks instead of tights isn't an issue for me.)
I just wanted to know if we would be accepted socially or not. I wouldn't want to be a social outcast that would be really sad Sad!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I have been speaking to people who live there now but wanted the widest range possible of opinions.
DH were streimel but we dont have chassidish lifestyle (socks instead of tights isn't an issue for me.)
I just wanted to know if we would be accepted socially or not. I wouldn't want to be a social outcast that would be really sad Sad!

I honestly don't think you'd be an outcast as people are really friendly and accepting. BUt the fact is, no one else really wears a streimel.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I honestly don't think you'd be an outcast as people are really friendly and accepting. BUt the fact is, no one else really wears a streimel.

I can think of half a dozen shtreimlach, most not ffb, but Jewish/frum for years and very settled.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
Babysitters?
TIA!

I grew up in Detroit and go back pretty often:

The community is big enough so that you don't know everyone but small enough that if you see someone you don't know, you may be curious who they are

Hashkafik leaning is hard to say cuz there is MIzrachi/ Akiva / Young Israel, then there are many people affiliate themselves with the Yeshiva , then there are the BT's, then there are the old time Detroiters, and they have the young proffessionals, and the young kollelniks, oh and of course chabad. Easy to find a Niche

It is very open minded. Everything goes there..

Nice social life, everyone is friendly, but not that many event (keep in mind its a small city)

Schools are pretty good (I went to the BY) Came out knowing more than some of my NYC friends for sure for Geography Smile

There are only a handful of shtriemels I can think of four off hand, but anything goes

Housing is very cheap, however it is hard to find a good house

Tuition is decent. They give nice scholarships if you qualify.

Babysitters are Aplenty

Each neighborhood is a drop dif. South Oak park - near yeshiva and very yeshivish
North Oak park - Nice crowd, mostly older but def. some young

South field North of Ten Mile - very nice mix, depends on block, some block are more modern (YI type)

Southfield South of Ten Mile - youngish crowd nice people there

Chabad - mostly 9 mile area but people are moving out.

There is also a small kiruv place near Huntington Woods

Big Chabad in West. Bloomfield along with "Toledo" Yeshiva

I love Detroit really warm nice place. No pressures what so ever.

Good Luck with your decision!!!

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:16 pm
can someone please update as far as where people are living now? My husband was in Kollel 5+ years and now working. We still associate with "kollel" type people and are looking for a place we'd feel comfortable in.

thanks in advance

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:31 pm
Probably south oak park

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Probably south oak park

Housing is quite scarce. Not only in south Oak Park, but in the Frum community in general.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 10:55 pm
Re 2 neighborhoods: are you referring to young israel Southfield neighborhood (much smaller) and larger oak park Southfield neighborhood about a 10 minute drive away? I don't think you'd fit into young israel southfield neighborhood with a streimel as that leans more modern.

I generally agree with everything above regarding quality of education and shuls

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 5:21 am
plumpink, you'd also feel comfortable in Southfield south of 10 Mile. But things are changing. People are getting housing where they can find it and there are alot of families in your demographic on every frum block in Oak Park. And in Southfield north of Ten near the Grove.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating