Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
My first sewing machine

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 30 2016, 11:20 pm
I just bought my first sewing machine and don't know where to start! So I'm looking for comprehensive websites on the topic with tutorials. I'm also looking for patterns for tznius clothing. Where can I find that?

I'm planning to make a gown. Is it a lot of work?

gande

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 12:16 am
Have you ever sewed before? It takes time and experience to able to understand the instructions and not mess up on any parts. You can start with some doll clothes that is easier to work with and u waste less fabric if u botch.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 12:25 am
gande wrote:
Have you ever sewed before? It takes time and experience to able to understand the instructions and not mess up on any parts. You can start with some doll clothes that is easier to work with and u waste less fabric if u botch.

I've never used a machine before, this is why I'm looking for tutorials.
Doll clothes look harder to make that adult's because there is so little fabric.

babula

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 2:58 am
Start with easy patterns that are labeled easy. Some patterns are also designed for beginners with more explicit instructions. You tube has lots of great tutorials. Most beginners start with an apron or pajama bottoms. Happy sewing. You make me want to start sewing again.

babula

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:04 am
Another thought. Did you buy your machine from a store? Most stores offer lessons on how to operate the machine you buy from them.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 3:12 am
Try a skirt, sleeveless top, and a Purim dress first to give you space to mess up.
I learned a lot making my girls kalla and queen Esther dresses every year.
If you want to make a beautiful gown that flatters you, I'd enroll in a dressmaking course.
You don't want to ruin and waste the expensive fabric.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 5:19 am
If you're going to make an expensive dress make it first out of muslin (spelling?). This way you can see what you struggled with before you work with the expensive material. Also before you buy your material Google which materials are easier to work with. Some materials are hard to work with, even for professionals.

As for making a gown, if this is your first sewing job, I definitely would not sew it without an actual pattern. I don't think a gown tutorial could possibly be in depth enough for a first timer. There's so much risk involved because it uses a lot of fabric and time so you don't want to risk getting it wrong and wasting all your money and effort.

momaleh

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 5:55 am
A gown is guite advanced, I wouldn't try that as a beginner sewist. It's not just a matter of learning to use the machine and following a pattern - it takes qutie a bit of experience to get the hang of it and get smooth lines, seams, fit and so on.
I love craftsy.com, amazing classes. You won't get the same level of learning as with tutorials - free tutorials are great if you have already taken classes and have an idea of what you're doing. I took classes at a sewing school in Manhattan and several craftsy courses and read a ton of sewing blogs, and I would be very careful about trying a gown.
I like downloadable patterns from burda.com, many are very tzanua, very interesting array of skirts, and you can always alter length anyway since it's custom. I also like the sewing rabbit and Danamadeit for tips. b'hatlzacha!

e1234

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 6:37 am
burda.com doesn't seem right

where can I get easy patterns

My daughter just got a machine and she's taking lessons but she wants to practice by herself with easier stuff but I can't even by patterns here ( I don't sew but back in my days we used to buy patterns in the fabric store)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 31 2016, 6:57 am
Sew4home has great tutorials for mostly non clothing projects. But they are great basic foundational crafts. A pillow with an invisible zipper and pintucks gives you experience in those. Many of their projects make great gifts.

moramom

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 6:17 pm
I just found this sewing thread
If you are in lakewood I would be happy to help you start out sewing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing