Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Starting sewing classes in lakewood

moramom

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 3:20 pm
Hello I was asked to start an adult sewing course in lakewood mornings or evenings beginner and intermediate. What would you want to learn if you had the chance?what is a fair price?
I gave a series of sewing workshops over 8 years ago so I dont remember the rates...
Thanks all!

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 3:35 pm
I take lessons elsewhere in central NJ. Adult classes at all levels are $60 per month, usually four one-hour sessions that tend to run long. There are never more than four students, usually two or three. I'm not sure if this is the going rate as I have not shopped around, but I think it is fair.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 6:48 pm
I'm curious what intermediate means.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 5:21 am
Will you be giving a course or workshop?

moramom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:33 am
Hi there!intermediate classes would be for ladies who are comfortable on the machine as opposed to begginner who need to use the machine.

moramom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:34 am
When I say workshop I really mean a series of classes Smile

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:07 am
Thanks for the response. I guess that would make me advanced.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:12 am
Make something useful.
Shabbos skirt
Baby blanket
Sleeveless lined dress

The 4-part sewing class I took as a girl had the option of a skirt/jumper/shorts.

moramom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:22 am
What would you consider a fair price for 4 one and a half sessions.I think 250.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:23 am
I took one as a tween and made pj pants!! I wouldn't remember how much my mom paid...
The classes were really fun, but we didn't have a sewing machine, so I totally forgot how to use it...

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:31 am
beginners should learn basic stuff like sewing a hem, button, tacking, sewing up slits and other basic alterations, cutting out a pattern and an easy project on the machine. In school we made an apron, but it would probably be more useful to teach a skirt pattern.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:35 am
I doubt anyone would wear their own homemade skirt from a beginners sewing class... A homemade apron on the otherhand... why not!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:40 am
When I learned how to sew, I did a basic little girls dress from a pattern. Bought double fabric and sewed two of the same dress for each of my DD's. They were little then, and wore those dresses very proudly.

I also did a course for sewing curtains. I've since sewn curtains, throw pillows, table runners, fitted sheets, quilt covers, etc..and I do most alterations for my girls myself - in fact I find that the most useful (and cost effective! I save hundreds per year by doing alterations myself.)

I still don't feel that I sew well enough to actually sew something for myself to wear.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 12:01 pm
moramom wrote:
What would you consider a fair price for 4 one and a half sessions.I think 250.

Would that include materials? If not, it might be a little high.

moramom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 2:36 pm
possibly that may include supplies. I want to keep the price fair but worth my time as well...

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 10:08 pm
I took a class some time ago and I think it was about $100 for 10 lessons, 2 hours each, once a week. You just needed to bring your own fabric and they had all the rest, including a selection of patterns to choose from.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 4:13 am
amother wrote:
I took a class some time ago and I think it was about $100 for 10 lessons, 2 hours each, once a week. You just needed to bring your own fabric and they had all the rest, including a selection of patterns to choose from.

That is dirt cheap. Where was this, what kind of place?

If you don't include supplies, go to a fabric store that you shop in and ask them that if you send your students there, can they get a small discount.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 6:41 am
yo'ma wrote:
That is dirt cheap. Where was this, what kind of place?

If you don't include supplies, go to a fabric store that you shop in and ask them that if you send your students there, can they get a small discount.

A community center in Montreal. It's not a Jewish place but I've heard of and seen a couple of frum women going there. They have several places offering such classes for about the same price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing