Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Milk Powder - do you use this stuff?

Mishie

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:07 am
I just got a bag full of Milk Powder packets.

I was wondering if anyone here uses Milk-Powder. What do you put it in?

Helani

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:44 am
I keep it around if I have to go somewhere w/ no cholov yisrael milk. It's also great for adding extra calcium and protein to food-pancakes, milk shakes, etc.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:51 am
I add it to coffee if I have no milk.
No, I wouldn't buy it. But thats how I use up the stuff I got as a gift.

faigie

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 11:35 am
I useit all the time, mostly to double down on calcium in the milk concoction that I like to make.
I take a teaspoon of cocoa powder, whatever sweetener you lik e( I use sweet and low) and about half a packet or so of powdered milk. I also like to add some instant coffee to the mix. I then put in JUST enough hot water to melt the mixture down, and then add in some regular milk till the top of the cup.
oh yeah I use HUGE cup..........easily over 12 oz.
it tastes as good as the stuff I get by starbucks, but it has no sugar in it ( my issue) and tons of milk.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 5:05 pm
I bought a case when I was preg and did like feige.

chen

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:52 pm
I have used powdered milk instead of regular liquid milk almost exclusively since I can't remember when. You won't catch me running out in a blizzard at 11.00 p.m. to buy milk for tomorrow's breakfast! It's the best solution when traveling, too, esp. if the hotel doesn't have a fridge. My coworker brings it in to put in her coffee--the fake creamer stuff is pure poison.

If I made casseroles or cream-style soups, I would add it in to sneak in extra calcium for the kids.

SouthernShalom

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 7:59 pm
You can make a soup base with it too. I don't remember the exacts but you could experiment. You took the powder and added your spices to it. You could use it in any milk bassed soup recipie. Just add water.

justanothermother

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 8:05 pm
chen wrote:
I have used powdered milk instead of regular liquid milk almost exclusively since I can't remember when. You won't catch me running out in a blizzard at 11.00 p.m. to buy milk for tomorrow's breakfast!

Do you always use the powdered. Why not use real milk on a regular basis and save the powdered for emergencies? We use it when we travel, it is convenient, but the taste is not the same.

Living here in Florida I need to keep powdered milk on hand for hurricane season. I need to have a lot on hand, but can never use it all up during the rest of the year. They don't have any dates on them, does anyone know their shelf life?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals