Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
My dh wants me to quit my job for another job

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:27 pm
My dh is going to have to work overtime to work 6 days a week since my teaching job isn't paying enough. He wants me to quit and babysit so he wouldn't have to work overtime and he will spend time with the kids. What is the right thing?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:36 pm
Would you enjoy babysitting? Did you crunch the numbers- will babysitting pay off more than teaching, keeping in mind that you would save on your own childcare that way as well?

Is there any other kind of supplemental income you can bring in while teaching part-time, like tutoring or selling things from your home?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:38 pm
With the amount of info you provided its impossible to answer
How old is he, how is his health , does he have a desk job or is very physically exhausting manual labor

I would think that babysitting and teaching pays about the same . usually teaching pays more.what other options are there

agreer

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:39 pm
What is right for you?

He sounds reasonable, but only if you could handle babysitting. it's HARD and not for everyone.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:41 pm
I would babysit and it solve a lot of issues. He works at a desk job. I work only part time. What do I do?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:54 pm
Sounds like you really don't want to give up teaching. What if you managed to find a teaching job for the last couple of periods every day and babysat in the morning, until 2?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 10:41 pm
Maybe you can try babysitting over the summer when presumably you're not teaching anyway. You can see if you like it and if you can get clients and make a go of it. I wouldn't quit midyear because that would leave the school in a lurch and would not reflect well on you if you ever want to return to teaching.

Alternatively, can you pick up tutoring jobs to bring in some extra income so that your husband doesn't feel that all the pressure is on him?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 11:34 pm
If he is working full time and not making enough to make ends meet, and you have a potential to do something to make more money, I would think it is very reasonable for him to ask.
Have you tried looking for teaching jobs in other places to see if you can find a better paying job?

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 1:18 am
Well, I'm shocked there is a country where babysitting is considered a better job than teaching. Are you in the states?

Doesn't your teaching job afford you benefits that babysitting wouldn't? For example, you get two months paid vacation, and all the holidays paid. You get sick leave. Your employer pays for part of your pension (at least here in Israel). You get maternity leave (14 weeks in Israel).

You get none of that in babysitting. Also, in teaching you get paid more every year as your seniority increases. At least here in Israel. Doesn't it work that way in the states?

My basic question, is doesn't teaching provide you with many benefits that babysitting doesn't? Even if perhaps babysitting pays more right now, long term teaching should be much more profitable.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 1:40 am
Is there somewhere else he could work?you switching jobs is not a long term solution.

cm

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 2:36 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Well, I'm shocked there is a country where babysitting is considered a better job than teaching. Are you in the states?

Doesn't your teaching job afford you benefits that babysitting wouldn't? For example, you get two months paid vacation, and all the holidays paid. You get sick leave. Your employer pays for part of your pension (at least here in Israel). You get maternity leave (14 weeks in Israel).

You get none of that in babysitting. Also, in teaching you get paid more every year as your seniority increases. At least here in Israel. Doesn't it work that way in the states?

My basic question, is doesn't teaching provide you with many benefits that babysitting doesn't? Even if perhaps babysitting pays more right now, long term teaching should be much more profitable.

Public school in the US offers benefits, some of them far better than in the private sector.

Private schools often offer no benefits, and very low pay. I assume the OP is working in a private school.

Even public school teachers don't get very high pay.

Running a day care in your home can be a lucrative business.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 2:52 am
Teachers in a Jewish Day School , especially in cities with few jobs, don't get paid very much.

Beingreal

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 4:10 am
Thanks for everyone replying. I do want to take up babysitting in the summer but my concern is now. I don't drive and the kids are so happy when he is home. In our case for me to babysit the kids won't have to go to a babysitter and we wouldn't pay for extra.

Fave

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 5:47 am
How can you quit teaching in the middle of a school year? Aren't you in contract for the entire year?

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 7:41 am
Fave wrote:
How can you quit teaching in the middle of a school year? Aren't you in contract for the entire year?

This.

Also, OP, what do YOU want?

Your posts come across like you don't have even an opinion here. And you should because it's your job, your career, your work...

I don't think you should burn your bridges by quitting in the middle of a school year. We are not that far away from June, can you push through till then?

You don't say whether you hate teaching or feel burnt out, or if you love babies and babysitting sounds like a great option for you. You also need to calculate whether you will have a client base to bring in a decent salary. It usually takes time to build up a name as a trustworthy babysitter. Have you worked that out yet?

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 8:16 am
If you're only teaching part time, try babysitting in your off hours. Or see if you can do something else on the side. Otherwise, wait until summer to leave. It's not right to leave during the year. Maybe see what you can do now to help out and then make a decision in the summer.

cm

Post Fri, Mar 04 2016, 8:29 am
I agree that it is unprofessional and possibly career-damaging to leave in the middle of a school year. That being said, we have had teachers leave because they could not afford to live (late/missing pay, astonishingly low salary). You do what you need to do, sometimes.

Babysitting and teaching may be very similar if you are a preschool teacher, or totally different, for example if you are a middle-school math teacher. What do you want to do, and what are you good at? What do you see yourself doing professionally next year or five years from now? You need to address your immediate financial needs, but also keep the big picture in mind.

shanie5

Post Sat, Mar 05 2016, 8:41 pm
There are people who need after school babysitters as their work hours are longer than school or regular babysitters hours. Would you possibly be willing to babysit for later hours after you finish teaching?

SRS

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 2:33 pm
I'm confused. Do you have a job offer for daycare that pays more than your teacher job? Or are you paying more for daycare than you bring in after tax to work?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics