Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Opening hem,what to use for facing(?)

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 9:54 am
I want to open the hem on the dress to make it longer. What type of fabric should I attach to the underside to make a new hem?
The dress is mid weight to light but lining material would probably be too thin for that.
Any ideas? I don't want to ask in the store yet because I may as well have some scraps at home that would work.

Thanks!

alef12

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
I want to open the hem on the dress to make it longer. What type of fabric should I attach to the underside to make a new hem?
The dress is mid weight to light but lining material would probably be too thin for that.
Any ideas? I don't want to ask in the store yet because I may as well have some scraps at home that would work.

Thanks!

You want to use a fabric of similar weight and weave to the dress fabric. Natural fiber would probably be best as it will ease and press nicely (cotton, wool, linen, or even rayon).
It's also important to be aware that whatever you use may show through so steer clear of prints unless the dress is very dark colored and completely opaque. I usually use a neutral such as black, white or gray, for facings if I am not using the garment fabric itself.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:46 am
something light weight that will blend into the colour of the dress

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 11:14 am
What Alef said.

Also, be sure the facing has been pre-washed or is a man-made fiber that won't shrink.

alef12

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:29 pm
Fox wrote:
What Alef said.

Also, be sure the facing has been pre-washed or is a man-made fiber that won't shrink.

Of course! I pre-shrink all of my fabrics so I forgot to mention that.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:37 pm
Maybe a lightweight ribbon. There are a lot of ribbon colors and you are sure to find the color that you need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing