Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it normal to take away a 3rd graders recess??
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 6:59 pm
In general, my suggested way of dealing with difficult teachers goes like this:

First problem; contact by phone, note, or email, state problem, ask for a response.

Second problem, restate problem, add urgency to tone, ask for a response or a meeting.

Third problem; insist on a meeting. If teacher is very set in ways, meet ahead of time with administrator to explain the need for supportive intervention.

At all times, keep the focus on the fact that parents and school are a team working together, and are on the same side. All want to see the child succeed and grow.

It works far better than complaining or arguing and antagonizing.

And if all of that doesn't do any good, then I look to find a different environment for the child, whether transferring to a different class, or to a different school.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
There have been a number of other issues with the school. I didnt report them. I asked if it was illegal so I was armed with info when I went back to the principal. Over reaction? No way. The way we allow our schools to get away with everything is sickining. They get worse and worse, and the punishments are often so old fashioned and I am sick of it.
Depriving a child of free time is illegal. Full stop. when my kids school breaks the law and doesnt care, after I've spoken to them, you bet its time to take action. Not that it mattered, like I said, since its a private school, they can do whatever they want. But now they know hat parents know. And now the rebbes have to resort to using their brains and more appropriate consequences. Taking away recess is lazy. Look at my child. He needs to move. The rebbe basically insured that his own afternoon would be even worse because now my son has even more bottled up energy.

First of all, you don't know what you are talking about. Your child is entitled to 120 minutes A WEEK of recess in NY. It is not illegal to take away any given recess. That is not why they declined to prosecute. The didn't want to sound like a nutcase - like you do. Imagine the headlines.

Second of all, you destroyed your child's relationship with his rebbe. You can bet this rebbe is disgusted with you as is the administration. I am disgusted, and I don't know you.

Third of all, why didn't you Goggle it rather than try to call the cops.

Fourth of all, you are not a very bright control freak. If the school is smart, they will throw your son out. Without parental support, children have trouble in school. Your son probably heard your gloating and lost respect for his rebbe. Respect for educators is even more important than being right.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:28 pm
Hi again. OP here. Though I am not the mom that found out that taking away recess is illegal, I do appreciate what she did because I agree that schools get away with too much, and it can be very detrimental to our children.
IN reply to the mother asking if I spoke to my son about his behavior and if I think a consequence was necessary, I certainly did speak to my son about behaving during davening. I firstly explained that we need to thank Hashen for all the wonderful things in our life, like his mommy lol, and family. He said its boring, I said I know it can be boring, so when that happens just sit quietly and think about something else, but don't disturb your friends..
Now I personally prefer a motivational technique to get the kids into davening. Candies and the like. They are only 8 years old. However if the rebbe insists on a consequence I would say that my son should be out of the class for davening, not for recess. Taking away recess has no place in my book.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 10:16 am
Gray, I was wondering if people would think I'm nuts, but reading your last post ITA. I think your son should have been made to take his siddur and stand in the hall just outside the classroom for davening, if he could not behave. I would qualify that by saying, only if this was not a first offense, he'd been given warning, etc...I believe in direct consequences - I.e. there should be a relationship between the offense and the consequence. Can't sit in your seat nicely during davening? Then you will do it in the hallway.

I also want to share something awesome about the daycamp my DD (she'll be 8 next month) attended last summer - Camp Shevach of Lakewood - and their davening system - the best I've ever heard of, and a model that can be copied elsewhere. The kids earned tickets if they davened nicely, and those could be used as "money" every other week for a store of prizes - and they were good prizes. Those kids made sure to daven nicely and earn the max tickets possible, or else you'd wind up feeling really short-changed on shopping day. My DD got all into it, and this has carried over into the school year - she's really serious about her davening. It's beautiful that they made davening such an important focus of the camp.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 10:40 am
It's strict for the offense but is a classic that starts in kindergarten (here the amothers come and say it doesn't happen, etc, LOL)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics