Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
PSA: "Upstate" New York
Previous  1  2

rowo

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 5:58 am
There's a region called leather stocking ?!?
I'm just stuck on that Wink

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 8:41 am
I go to Albany and Saratoga a lot. It's definitely called Upstate to me when I drive north on the Thruway and then the Northway for 3 hours.

But it isn't that far off that if I need kosher feed, I can still stop into price chopper on central and get good kosher food.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I go to Albany and Saratoga a lot. It's definitely called Upstate to me when I drive north on the Thruway and then the Northway for 3 hours.

But it isn't that far off that if I need kosher feed, I can still stop into price chopper on central and get good kosher food.

Our BJs also now has a kosher bakery, and we now have a restaurant also (although who knows for how long) Its called Terra international cuisine.

Edited on September 30, 2016 to add – Terra is no longer kosher.

Last edited by Ima2NYM_LTR on Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

princessleah

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 10:08 am
I work in the Bronx and people here talk about a clinic in Westchester co. and say "he gets his care somewhere upstate." I always have to stifle my laugh. Westchester is not upstate!
Although I have been guilty of calling anything north of Westchester/Rockland "upstate."
But the Catskills I refer to as "the country" or "the mountains!"

wiki

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 1:08 pm
Why feel guilty? Wikipedia's article on "Upstate New York" in the "Definition" section says:

"There is no clear official boundary between Upstate New York and Downstate New York. The broadest usage of the term Upstate New York excludes only New York City and Long Island, which are always considered to be part of Downstate New York. Another usage locates the Upstate/Downstate boundary further north, at the point where New York City's suburbs segue into its exurbs, as the exurbs do not fall within the US Census' urban area. This boundary places most, but not all, of Westchester and Rockland Counties in Downstate, while putting the northwestern edge of Rockland County as well as the northernmost quarter of Westchester County (including Peekskill) in Upstate.[5] Yet another definition uses the prior Census definition of the New York metropolitan area, which until 2010 included Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam Counties. This was the definition used by the plaintiffs in the federal redistricting case of Rodriguez v. Pataki.[6]

Residents of Upstate New York sometimes prefer to identify with a more specific subregion, such as Western New York or Central New York."

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 31 2015, 1:29 pm
I was born in Rochester and my parents (who are not from NY State originally) always referred to it as "upstate NY".

FTR, Baltimore is not "upstate" of DC, because they are not in the same state. Nobody in Maryland uses those terms except about NY.

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 11:02 am
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I thought this was relevant to this thread, and funny.

http://www.lohud.com/story/opi.....3414/
Quote:

Lohud readers lost their collective minds over a poll in which 25 percent of participants had the temerity to define upstate New York as “anything north of New York City.”

“Have you ever been to the real ‘upstate?’ You know, the Catskills mountains, the Adirondack mountains! That is upstate,” wrote Rob Fulgum on lohud’s facebook page. “Just because you see a few trees and a patch of grass doesn't mean you're upstate.”

Commenter Luke Gordon sought to infuse his geographical bonafides with a dose of logic.

“I live in Orange County. Not upstate. I can be in midtown faster than someone who lives on the A Train line in Beach Channel,” he wrote.

The poll, by Public Policy Polling, definitely hit a nerve. It was as if readers, many of whom are regular commuters into the city, had been called hillbillies.

One could empathize. Paying through the nose on property taxes for the privilege of being within commuting distance of the city should count for something. Right?

The poll showed that 29 percent of those surveyed believed upstate to be anything north of Westchester County, while 22 percent defined it as anything north of Poughkeepsie.

One of the options, curiously, was “anything north of Poughkeepsie except for the Buffalo area.”

Only 7 percent checked that box.

“Are you kidding??” wrote Joel A. Rohe. "Everything north of Poughkeepsie, excluding the Buffalo area" was an actual option? Buffalo is "Upstate".... you can't add that into an equation!!”

The results of the poll also suggested that 9 percent did not think any of these definitions made sense. They voted for the option "something else.” Those who were “not sure” made up an additional 7 percent of respondents.

In February, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the dividing line between upstate and downstate depends on "context." Most state programs, he said, define downstate as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority region, the 12 counties serviced by New York City-based public transit and commuter trains.

The upstate query was part of a broader poll examining New York's April 19 presidential primary.

Most New York City voters, meanwhile, opted for the two southern-most options: 38 percent said "Upstate" is everything north of the city, while 31 percent said north of Westchester.

Some readers understood that sentiment.

“I grew up in Queens,” said Marie Grippi Parks. “Yonkers was upstate.”

Reader Patrick Murphy was not amused.

“You can walk to subway lines in 10 minutes (from) certain parts of Yonkers,” he countered.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 11:16 am
funny what people call things ... but all in all call it whatever you will & we will still call it whatever we will [guess that's the brooklyn side of me]

just don't call it the country - like what country ?!

we call it the farm ~ MOO !!! MOO !!! [that is what happens when you grow up with cows, goats & chickens]

up is always up ... as in headed in a certain direction
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics