Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
My pesach mayo flopped - TWICE! What's wrong?!

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:59 am
It just won't thicken.

I use egg, safflower oil, lemon juice, and salt. It worked fine last year.

I've wasted almost an entire thing of oil.

Tried gently warming the egg to room temp. Tried starting again with just yolk and a squirt of lemon juice, so I could just add the failed mix into a thickened batch. Nothing is working.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:04 am
haven't made mayo myself ... but from what I hear you must very very very slowly add the oils while it is still beating & for a very very very long time

good luck !!!

is the acid of the lemon too sharp to put in from the start ?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:12 am
The oil has to go in so slowly that your arm aches from holding it over the container.

Get a disposable plastic cup, and punch a small hole in the bottom. Pour you oil in the cup, and let it drip through the hole, one drop at a time. Switch arms as needed, or get one of your kids to help you.

I've ruined so much Pesach mayo in my days, that I've decided it's just not worth the effort.

saraby

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 11:20 am
If you have a stick blender you can do it this way:

1.Put all the ingredients in a tall container, a 2lb plastic one is perfect.

2. Put the hand blender over the egg and then press the button.

This usually makes perfect mayonnaise.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 11:40 am
It's all about streaming in the oil slooooowly so that the eggs really thicken.
This recipe is no fail. Puncture a tiny hole into the bottom of a plastic cup, stick it into the food processor or blender feeder and let the oil drip drip in slowly.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....41770

mommy100

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 12:26 pm
Do not add the lemon juice until you have a thick mixture or else the acid ruins it.

Seas

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 3:04 pm
I once read a tip about starting it off with a cooked egg. I haven't tried it though.

wfm

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 3:23 pm
One good trick for creamy mayo is to chill the oil in the freezer. Use the knife blade attachment on the food processor and drip in the oil very slowly

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 3:24 pm
OP, I feel bad about your flop , but feel good that you are up to making Pesach Mayo...I didnt even clean my cabinets, fridge or stove yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

believeit

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 5:20 pm
Seas wrote:
I once read a tip about starting it off with a cooked egg. I haven't tried it though.

I do my own mayo every week. I started of doing mayo on Pesach! That was the first time it came out good. I put in one yellow ball of a cooked egg, salt, sugar, dash of lemon juice and then start the blender put in the oil ever so slowly. BTW if it flops you put it aside in a container, you start the process again and you put in slowly the FLOPPED mayo. 2nd time it always comes out nice and fluffy.

Good luck if you need more info you can ask me Very Happy

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 6:55 pm
believeit wrote:
I do my own mayo every week. I started of doing mayo on Pesach! That was the first time it came out good. I put in one yellow ball of a cooked egg, salt, sugar, dash of lemon juice and then start the blender put in the oil ever so slowly. BTW if it flops you put it aside in a container, you start the process again and you put in slowly the FLOPPED mayo. 2nd time it always comes out nice and fluffy.

Good luck if you need more info you can ask me Very Happy

Can you give an exact recipe with measurements? And do you not use any raw eggs?

anonymrs

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:57 pm
I make mayonnaise year round. This is my recipe that works every time.

Put these ingredients in food processor:
1/4 c extra light olive oil
1 T lemon juice
2 T sugar (I use 3 packets sweet n low)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg

Blend well.

Keep food processor running and slowly drizzle in 1 cup extra light olive oil.

You have mayonnaise!! Works every single time, I have never had mayonnaise that flopped using this recipe.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:27 pm
saraby wrote:
If you have a stick blender you can do it this way:

1.Put all the ingredients in a tall container, a 2lb plastic one is perfect.

2. Put the hand blender over the egg and then press the button.

This usually makes perfect mayonnaise.

This is what I usually do. For some reason, it wasn't working. So, I took the advice here and tried a lengthy whip with just yolks, then gradually added the rest.

I started one more time, and finally got it thick. I gradually added in the flops. I think I still need more oil, since in the end it was 6 eggs nstead of my usual 2, but at least it's definitely mayo now. Yay!

kb

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:27 pm
http://kosheronabudget.com/mak.....aise/

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:34 pm
imasinger wrote:
This is what I usually do. For some reason, it wasn't working. So, I took the advice here and tried a lengthy whip with just yolks, then gradually added the rest.

I started one more time, and finally got it thick. I gradually added in the flops. I think I still need more oil, since in the end it was 6 eggs nstead of my usual 2, but at least it's definitely mayo now. Yay!

YAY! High Protein Mayo!

believeit

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 4:32 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Can you give an exact recipe with measurements? And do you not use any raw eggs?

Yes I forgot to mention one raw egg as well
Recipe:
1 raw egg
1 yellow of cooked egg
1/2 ts salt
1ts sugar
dash of lemon juice
oil( for pesach I onl use olive oil)
SLOWLY put in the oil on the lowest number of the blender.

BTW I find using the blender it gives it more fluff and a better taste
GL

believeit

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 4:36 am
imasinger wrote:

Great for you! 1 question where do you store the mayo till pesach? After 3 days jom tov we usually don't eat the mayo because we are affray it's spoiled.

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 4:50 am
General consensus is that it lasts in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. I will probably do a second batch on ch"h, because the dressings I make usually get used up by then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics