Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Baby talk

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 2:24 am
Do you speak to kids/babies in baby talk? Why or why not?
If you do, until what age?

I could never see myself speaking baby talk...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 3:28 am
Sometimes I do it... but generally after a few sentences it just feels weird and I switch to normal.
The docs say it's not good because a kid needs to hear good French/English and not faulty one.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 3:39 am
Do whatever comes naturally to you. Once the child starts communicating with more people out of the house, he'll drop the baby talk. A problem can be if you speak a different language at home than the general population, and then the baby talk might stick, because the child doesn't hear adults converse in this language (as is, unfortunately the case with my kids' Yiddish. My 12 year old still says he has a boo-boo Rolling Eyes eventhough he speaks other languages normally.)

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 5:04 am
When DS was a baby I talked to him all the time but it wasn't like official baby educational talk. It was more just talking about what we were going to do and things going on, etc. We also read a lot of books (and still do). The most important thign is to be comfortable talking even though your little one can't answer back yet no matter how you talk to them. They are absorbing every word!

mimivan

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 8:24 am
hadasa wrote:
(as is, unfortunately the case with my kids' Yiddish. My 12 year old still says he has a boo-boo Rolling Eyes eventhough he speaks other languages normally.)

Oh, you mean "boo boo" in Yiddish is "boo boo"? Sweet! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 10:52 am
no way! sickening!

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 10:56 am
like "goo goo ga ga"? : no
like "want cuppy?" or "wanna go bye bye?" : yeah. totally, I am such a nerd like that Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 10:59 am
What I hate most is when a child has a speech impediment and the whole family imitates it.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jun 05 2007, 11:09 am
mimivan wrote:
hadasa wrote:
(as is, unfortunately the case with my kids' Yiddish. My 12 year old still says he has a boo-boo Rolling Eyes eventhough he speaks other languages normally.)

Oh, you mean "boo boo" in Yiddish is "boo boo"? Sweet! LOL

Yes, but he uses it only in Yiddish. In other languages he speaks like an adult.

Jo

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:36 am
I very rarely talked baby talk to my son when he was younger and still don't (he is 3)

happymom

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:14 am
I speak to my kids how I would talk to anyone else. maybe thats one of the reson my daughter talks like an adult. "excuse me, actually I decided ill have that one as my choice" (lol she talks like that and shes two..Smile

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:21 am
happymom wrote:
I speak to my kids how I would talk to anyone else. maybe thats one of the reson my daughter talks like an adult. "excuse me, actually I decided ill have that one as my choice" (lol she talks like that and shes two..Smile

that is way too cute!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics