Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey Neighborhood
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
I'm chassidish with 2 little kids and a third on the way. I currently live in Brooklyn in a tiny house and I'm literally bumping into things all the time.

I'm looking for a small size 3 bedroom preferably not in a huge development. I don't mind being a bit out of section but I want the area to be Chassidish. My budget is pretty low therefore I'm having more than a bit of trouble finding the right place, but I'm still trying. Therefore I want to know when looking through the classifieds or online sites which neighborhoods to look at and which ones are irrelevant.

Chestnut Ridge all the way out Ackertown/Pinebrook area has many chasidish families, the prices are still fairly low but creeping up and it's nice, pretty and quiet, but there is definitely a mix in that area both chasidish , yeshivish and heimish...there are a few chasidish shuls in that area, but it's very out and you will need to use a car to get to the grocery etc.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:47 am
Would anyone have a little more info on Hillcrest? I saw a great listing there but I heard that New Square is making trouble. Anyone know more about it and how it would affect me if I were to buy there?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:51 am
Union/Stonehouse is Chassidish (not a mixed area). There may be some yeshivish/heimish/litvish people, but you're talking about a rare one here and there.

wifenmother

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
Would anyone have a little more info on Hillcrest? I saw a great listing there but I heard that New Square is making trouble. Anyone know more about it and how it would affect me if I were to buy there?

My understanding is that New Square is ok with heimishe Hillcrest buyers as long as they don't buy on 'their' side of Eckerson.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:28 pm
wifenmother wrote:
My understanding is that New Square is ok with heimishe Hillcrest buyers as long as they don't buy on 'their' side of Eckerson.

And what happens if someone who they are not ok with buys there?

wifenmother

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:51 pm
Good question! I'd love to hear the answer.

I know that fairly recently when Satmar purchase a lot not far from them that they were going to use to build a school or cheder on, they bought them out and helped them find a different location.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:29 pm
Why, aren't Satmar and New Square both Chassidish?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Why, aren't Satmar and New Square both Chassidish?

yes, but the village of New Square is not big enough to house their chassidim so they'll need space to spread out and dont want any other ppl purchasing near those areas...that's what I heard...yeh. it's crazy.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:51 pm
You should look into Chestnut Ridge and Airmont.

Both are a mix, but lots of Chassidish people buying in both areas.

Airmont is more established and more expensive, but gets cheaper the further out you go.

However, there is a mix in both Chestnut Ridge and Airmont and I hope it stays that way.
I'm Chassidish and just love living with all types. Each one has so much to offer. I have Chassidish, Heimish, Litvish, Lubavitch, JPF and MO neighbors and it's awesome!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
You should look into Chestnut Ridge and Airmont.

Both are a mix, but lots of Chassidish people buying in both areas.

Airmont is more established and more expensive, but gets cheaper the further out you go.

However, there is a mix in both Chestnut Ridge and Airmont and I hope it stays that way.
I'm Chassidish and just love living with all types. Each one has so much to offer. I have Chassidish, Heimish, Litvish, Lubavitch, JPF and MO neighbors and it's awesome!

Honeydew do you live in Chestnut ridge?

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 2:54 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
yes, but the village of New Square is not big enough to house their chassidim so they'll need space to spread out and dont want any other ppl purchasing near those areas...that's what I heard...yeh. it's crazy.

They could just buy them out then....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
I was very involved there and nearly purchased a house there. If you stay to the west of the 45, that's fine with them. We contacted the Skver BD who said that they prefer you don't buy there (of course!), but the kepeida of the Rebbe was only on their side of the 45.

I know someone who was looking to buy on their side of the 45 and was contacted by Skver to not buy there while she was still negotiating. We were nearly under contract yet nobody contacted us.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
I was very involved there and nearly purchased a house there. If you stay to the west of the 45, that's fine with them. We contacted the Skver BD who said that they prefer you don't buy there (of course!), but the kepeida of the Rebbe was only on their side of the 45.

I know someone who was looking to buy on their side of the 45 and was contacted by Skver to not buy there while she was still negotiating. We were nearly under contract yet nobody contacted us.

And what if you buy anyways? What are they going to do?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
And what if you buy anyways? What are they going to do?

Offer to buy you out.
Call your mosed and tell them not to accept you. Put pressure from all sides through your rav/rebbe.
Send out pashkevillin against you.
Make phony calls. Knock on your door and run away.
Buy off the next door house and rent it out to 20 Puerto Ricans.

gold21

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:56 pm
I dont think the area where the community is growing is on the "wrong" side of Rt 45. Unless theres another community that I dont know about. But the area called "new up the hill" is not even that close to Rt 45.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:59 pm
gold21 wrote:
I dont think the area where the community is growing is on the "wrong" side of Rt 45. Unless theres another community that I dont know about. But the area called "new up the hill" is not even that close to Rt 45.
The growing community is not on the same side as Skver which means it is ok with Skver if you buy a house there. THey're not happy about it but they won't do anything to you. And that area is actually right off the 45. Street names include Bristol, Sunny RIdge, Bonnie, Carriage, etc. You can google it and see it on the map; it's actually right across from Skver.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
The growing community is not on the same side as Skver which means it is ok with Skver if you buy a house there. THey're not happy about it but they won't do anything to you. And that area is actually right off the 45. Street names include Bristol, Sunny RIdge, Bonnie, Carriage, etc. You can google it and see it on the map; it's actually right across from Skver.

I'm still not getting this. "Do anything to you"? What does that even mean? These are real people who are threatening others for moving in? Does no one call the police?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still not getting this. "Do anything to you"? What does that even mean? These are real people who are threatening others for moving in? Does no one call the police?

Call the police?! What a joke. As if it helps here. You have no idea of their power.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:31 pm
I live in the general area of the "new up the hill" neighborhood near New Square. There was a big deal a while ago when New Square put up a huge ad in the local jewish magazine, stating that they did not want people buying houses within a 1 mile range of New Square. I have not seen this stop people at all from buying houses in my neighborhood, which is a lovely, friendly, young community (and within the 1 mile range). In fact, the community is growing very quickly BH.

We have nothing to do with New Square other than once in a while using their grocery when its late at night or sometimes using their Friday night mikvah. I can't see how us building our community affects New Square in any way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating