Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial Anxiety Survey
1  2  Next

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:53 pm
I am seeking participants for an online research study on financial anxiety in the Orthodox community in the United States.

Its completely anonymous. You will be asked questions about your financial situation and your feelings about it as well as some demographic questions. This study has been approved by Dominican University's IRB (Institutional Review Board- the body that oversees all research involving human subjects and in essence says they are "kosher").

I have cleared this with Yael. Also, please note that I am posting under my screen name despite the fact that my email address is provided in the consent form so I'm basically "outing myself". I am doing this to make sure that everything is on the up and up.

Yes I a really am a frum woman, I just also happen to be a college professor who researches the way emotions impact financial decisions. I know that the financial costs associated with living a halachically observant lifestyle stress me out so I figured why not do a study on it...

If you are interested AND LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES please click on the link below to participate.

Financial Anxiety Survey

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:03 pm
I can't figure out how to indicate that I have no members of my household under the age of 18. Do you only want families with children at home?

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:05 pm
wow... I will fix that, thanks! (I want anyone frum!)

Ok, its fixed, just reload the page

lfab

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:13 pm
Took the survey. Would love to know what, if any, conclusions you draw from it.

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:26 pm
I'll post the paper when I finish

amother
White

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:59 pm
I just took the survey and was surprised by the figures you have for rent/mortgage payment. Our monthly rent/mortgage payment is twice the max number and it's pretty typical for anyone moving into my area who is just getting into the rental or home ownership market. That accounts for a lot of our financial anxiety!

questioner

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:03 pm
Are you using in the living within the eruv question as a proxy for in a religious neighborhood? Because I live in a frum neighborhood but there just isn't an eruv in my area.

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:22 pm
Another white: exactly! ( but to keep it in line with the academic literature I had to use a "standard scale"

Questioner: that's a not a "religiosity" question, it's more related. To home price

questioner

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:35 pm
finprof wrote:
Another white: exactly! ( but to keep it in line with the academic literature I had to use a "standard scale"

Questioner: that's a not a "religiosity" question, it's more related. To home price

That's the same data issue - if someone lives in a location without a city-wide eruv (are they really so uncommon?) this will skew the data.

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:48 pm
Other than this site my sources are all oot where this doors have a big impact. I will check the results and if necessary that question can be excluded.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:50 pm
I didn't look at the survey but I grew up on the UWS and we don't hold by the eiruv. the prices are incredibly high there. Are you including if there is an eiruv that many pple don't use?

watergirl

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:56 pm
Finished. It took only a few monimutes, not the 15 that the disclaimer warned. Maybe change that so you dont scare people off? Another suggestion - maybe add an "I dont know" answer to the financial literacy part to get the most accurate answers. I didnt know some, and I guessed. If I guessed correctly, you will think its because I knew the answer.

finprof

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 5:16 pm
Watergirl: the 15 minutes is an IRB requirement based on the number of questions. In truth none had taken more than 5. The financial literacy survey isnt like the SATs- there is no penalty for guessing 😄

Olive: no that is not include in the survey, and I can't specifically add questions without going thru the IRB process again. I will make sure to include that if I do a follow up study!

BasMelech120

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:52 pm
finprof,

Kudos to you for exploring relevant subject matters! I look forward to reading your paper.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:24 pm
Eruv question is interesting. There are places like the Lower East Side (or is the Lower East Side the only one?? is every other town just that some people don't hold by it??) that has no eruv, but is far from cheap.

boysrus

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:48 pm
I took the survey. you should definitely change in you original post that it takes way less than 15 minutes. It took me about 3 minutes. I hadnt bothered taking it earlier in the day, because I didnt think I would have time, until I read somebodys post taht it only took a few minutes.

when do we get to hear about the results?

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:11 am
took it--- another suggestion if I may?

I took it on my phone and it was very difficult to change the number of household members and number of children. Probably easier on a computer, but just something to note because I'm sure a lot of us are using phones.

Kfar

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:32 am
not sure if this matters to your study, but at my age what I am paying in tuition is peanuts to what was paid over the years my kids were growing up and adds to the financial anxiety of being older w/much less savings as a result. Perhaps questions to take those years into account?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 4:29 am
I responded because I was sure there would be an explain or comment box at some point. You can disregard if you'd like (24 year old chassidish) but the reason I have no anxiety or expenses is because I am being fully supported by my parents (home included) not sure if that makes a difference
If it ruins your survey disregard my answers

finprof

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:05 am
Twinmommy, I'll try and fix that. Would it be better just to enter a number like in the age part?

Kfar: hmmm, I didn't think of that... somehow in my mind there was no transitional time when only one kid was left in school... Maybe a comment box at the end would help?

Dougerblue: have your parents take the survey!

Boysrus: a few months, I want the survey up for at least a few weeks then I need to write up the paper. I'll make sure to post a link here when I have a draft.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics