Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How to help my difficult child?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:20 pm
12rivkyk34 wrote:
Where are you located? Do you know of any therapy agencies in your area to have your son evaluated?
Can you ask the school if they recommend a certain agency that has worked well with their student body? Do you have private insurance? Are you eligible for therapy through insurance?
As an aside, when you are consistent with your parenting method, you get to know what makes your child tick. You know what works and can give clear pointers to the school so they can be on the same page as you.

Thanks.
I'm in brooklyn. I guess I'll have to find someone in the school that would know how to help me.
My insurance won't cover therapy unless it's for a medical reason.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:26 pm
OP READ UP ON ADD!!!
It will change your view on your son.
My son is exactly how your described and has diagnosed ADD!

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:52 am
No advice op, sorry, but sending empathy, the whole world seems to be full of kids like this nowadays (or maybe it's just MY world)

And seeker I love what you wrote on this thread.

myym

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 4:13 pm
If he is performing academically well the board of ed might not be helpful, but you can defenitely start with that. Its a super simple procedure. Just ask the school how to get the ball rolling. You need to speak to the board of ed in your schools district. However they wouldnt diagnose ADD. You need a private eval for that.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
He gets lots of positive encouragement and rewards.
But I can't ignore bad behavior or look away when he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. What do I do then?

There's some really great parenting classes that can teach the benefits of not having any punishments and the alternative solutions.
I have A son like this and am working hard to go against my nature to understand this concept and make a loving relationship between us the motivating factor in his behaviors.

Look at website aha parenting for now

There's also tiredofyelling Aviva Schwab. Most affordable but not sure if it explains the philosophy.

I m writing now with little time I will try to add resources later but please please consider opening up to a different approach.

Hatzlacha
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)