Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Darchei Torah / Siach Yitzchak
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 6:34 pm
1) Is darchei Torah for boys ( primary) in far Rockaway a great school?
Do the high school boys come out wanting to be professionals or into learning ? If professionals could it be lawyers , IT, doctors , accountants , lawyers etc ?

2) Where do the boys go after Siach Yitzchak ? For high school . Are they able to keep up in other yeshivas regarding chol ( as Siach has limited chol education ) ?

Maya

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:01 pm
You will get more help if you edit your subject line to include the names of the yeshivahs you need information about.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:04 pm
Darchei is so huge that I'm sure you have everything under the sun, full time learners, to Drs/lawyers to everything else.
I don't know where ppl from siach go for hs.

eight

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:33 pm
Is it a good/ great school both academics and hashkafers

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:20 pm
No personal experience at Siach but from word of mouth chol subpar and boys go on to non regents non college types of high school usually (of course exceptions). Darchei elementary excellence chol. That's based on personal experience from family and my kids there now.

eight

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:31 pm
Pink - do the boys from darchei become professional or Kollel or others. In other words what generally do the boys do after darchei high school ?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:07 pm
Depends what direction they take after elementary- darchei high tend to stay in learning/chinch/kodesh while other area high schools (MAY, YFR) tend to go towards college. Then again, that decision can be delayed further and solidified based on where they end up year 1 or 2 bais medrash.

eight

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:24 pm
What does MAY and YFR ( sorry new to USA ) stand for. In other words after year 1 or 2 bais medrash, the boys still have skills to go into college if they want.
Also are the high school boys in darchei exposed to chol at a good level ?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:51 pm
My take is that Darchei high school has a decent secular studies program. They have regents classes, advanced regents classes and offers APs. The focus is on the learning (much longer hours for reb I and shiur) but the time spent for secular studies is taken seriously and they expect the boys to take that part of the day's seriously as well. The overall hashkafah of the school encourages learning and kolel. After 12th grade some boys leave to Israel. Some take the beis medrash route (long term learning, going to more serious yeshivos in Israel later on...). The boys are all black and white but they vary from one year Israel learners to more yeshivish long term learners.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:54 pm
Darchei Torah is a community school. It identifies as pretty mainstream- right-wing but not extreme. There is a huge range of boys that go there. There is no "normal"; some go onto college and some go onto kollel, some become lawyers and some become rabbis. The education is excellent, both for Jewish and for secular subjects. It is not a modern school in any way, it is definitely right-wing- but it is very balanced and not nearly as extreme as some other right-wing yeshivas. Its very balanced, normal, and a great choice.

eight

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:22 pm
Thanks ya"al ...
Is it more common that elementary darchei kids continue to darchei high school. We are not interested in sending out boy to " out of town" high school . So basically what are the choices ( great options ) after darchei elementary that are close to far Rockaway

doctorima

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:56 pm
Darchei High School is definitely an option. If you want something nearby but more to the right, Long Beach would probably be your best bet, or schools in Brooklyn. If you want something more to the left (more secular studies and a focus on college prep), there are several local options.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:04 pm
Hi, Can someone who sends to Darchei and / or Siach Yitzchak tell me what the tuition rates are for preschool and elementary? Also if someone needs a tuition break do they fill out an online form or is there someone who takes care of tuition that they meet with?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Hi, Can someone who sends to Darchei and / or Siach Yitzchak tell me what the tuition rates are for preschool and elementary? Also if someone needs a tuition break do they fill out an online form or is there someone who takes care of tuition that they meet with?

I send to Darchei, they wanted a total of about 14k per kid (lower elementary), including all the various fees. I applied for assistance and we are paying less than half. They do use the FACTS site, but there definitely is a person in the school you can meet with and speak to as well.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 4:26 pm
Thank you for responding! Do your boys feel pressure from their peers (fancier gadgets, vacations..)? Are most of the boys in their classes wealthy or is it a big mix?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 5:12 pm
Both are great schools but in different ways. Darchei is a community school, so some will go into kollel, some will be lawyers, and everything else. These days a lot of the less yeshivish Darchei elementary boys go to other places for high school.

Lately a lot of Siach boys go to Shaarei Chaim, which is not a college oriented school but they still take English subjects seriously and they take regents. They don’t want their students to feel like they are wasting their time for however many hours a day they have English. The boys in that yeshiva tend to have great middos. Siach starts English later than other schools, but I’ve heard that they are caught up by the time they graduate eighth grade.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:08 pm
Thank you for responding! Do your boys feel pressure from their peers (fancier gadgets, vacations..)? Are most of the boys in their classes wealthy or is it a big mix?

No, but A)they are both still young so it could be the pressure isn't on quite yet, and B)since it is such a large school, you can request pretty specifically what kind of class you want. It sounds silly, but we always ask for the low key but non klei kodesh class. So it's all kids from low key families, but with working parents.

As the years go by, the classes get mixed around a bit as adjustments need to be made but for the most part the kids in my sons' classes are very similar to us, which is nice. Of course I'm sure there will come a time when someone will have something my son wants or go somewhere cool and we'll have to deal with it as it comes, but so far we've felt very comfortable and on par with the other families in our class

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:42 pm
Would any Darchei moms have tuition rates including all fees, for preschool, elementary, junior high and high school? We heard from a friend that tuition is 20,000 per child if you don't qualify for breaks and we're curious if that's accurate as we try to figure out our finances... Thank you!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:44 pm
Would any Darchei moms have tuition rates including all fees, for preschool, elementary, junior high and high school? We heard from a friend that tuition is 20,000 per child if you don't qualify for breaks and we're curious if that's accurate as we try to figure out our finances... Thank you!!

My brother is starting with his son this year in nursery and he told me tuition will be around $6,000 this year. He may qualify for breaks (he does receive govt programs and such) .

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:47 pm
Thank you for responding! I'm curious if anyone has the costs including fees for someone who doesn't qualify for breaks. I'm sure it's significantly higher but trying to see if it's as high as I heard...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics