Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Financial Status

What is your financial status?
B'h we're well off, and with plenty of money to spare  
 2%  [ 1 ]
We do well  
 2%  [ 1 ]
We're not rich or anything, but b'h we're not struggling at all  
 31%  [ 15 ]
We're struggling a drop, but nothing we can't handle  
 29%  [ 14 ]
We're struggling a lot, but by skimping, we're able to manage to pay all our bills  
 10%  [ 5 ]
We for the most part are managing, but have some tight spots where we have to get a loan from friends/family  
 12%  [ 6 ]
On the receiving end of tzedaka- otherwise we wouldn't be able to put food on the table  
 8%  [ 4 ]
Have no food in the house, nothing to put on the table  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 47

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:14 am
I'm just curious what the status of most people here is- if most people are well off, most people struggling, a big variety, etc...
I would rather you not answer with name- if you post, please do so anonymously...

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:41 am
I put in struggling a lot, because it was a hard year mainly due to the fact that I stayed home with my baby for a year. How ever we still had same tuition amounts to be paid etc. Once I'll go back to work, I"H it will be easier. Actually, we were spending very little, such as no new baby stuff, no new baby clothes, etc, no new clothes for me Sad . and still we had to take out 1000 - 1500/ month out of savings. So now that saving are over I am looking for a job. But I am very happy that I got to stay home for so long, with other kids I went to work (part time ) at 8-10wks PP. We never truly needed tzedakah, but I got lots of used stuff from my friends for both baby and older kids, and my grandma sent $50 every month for diapers (our only baby-related expence) LOL

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:46 am
some weeks life is tough - this is one of them - no money to buy food for shabbos

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:46 am
We have absolutely no money at the moment. Actually, correction- I have 50 dollars in my wallet, but that is all the money we have between me and my husband until his paycheck comes in a week and a half. We have no credit card, so can't buy anything on credit. We're beyond our allowed minus on both of our bank accounts. We've had to accept people's tzedaka.
Its very hard... but its also "nice" to see that there are others in the same boat as I am almost- not that I like to hear of other people struggling, but at least I don't feel like I'm going through this alone.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:48 am
In the beginning of our marriage we struggled big time. Some months I wondered if we were going to make it. B"H I always paid the rent first so we always had a place to live. DH and I were in school and we had a newborn son. I managed for 6 years to wash my shaitel myself, never take any kind of vacation, and almost never go out to eat. We would try to go out on birthdays or anniversarys but it was a rarity. Now that we are both done with school we are B"H doing nicely. I wouldn't say we are "rolling in it" but I don't have to cry every month when I balance the check book.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
some weeks life is tough - this is one of them - no money to buy food for shabbos

Oy, that must be hard. What are you doing?
I don't think we'd be able to buy things for shabbos... but a friend of mine has a catering company and told me "someone ordered something but backed out at the last minute- and now I have so much cooked food that I need to get rid of- can you please take it?"
Not sure if that was the truth or her "discreet" way of giving me and my husband tzedaka...
But either way, thats how we have food this shabbos.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
We have absolutely no money at the moment. Actually, correction- I have 50 dollars in my wallet, but that is all the money we have between me and my husband until his paycheck comes in a week and a half. We have no credit card, so can't buy anything on credit. We're beyond our allowed minus on both of our bank accounts. We've had to accept people's tzedaka.
Its very hard... but its also "nice" to see that there are others in the same boat as I am almost- not that I like to hear of other people struggling, but at least I don't feel like I'm going through this alone.

I'm in exactly the same boat. But I couldn't join the poll, because I have no family to get loans from. It is only like this at the end of hte month b'h, but it looks like we need to be better at budgeting. I think I'm going to have to take on some extra work at night now. My husband is in collel and is finishing a degree at night, so really isn't bringing in anything but his stipend.
On a brighter note, I do notice the rachamim of Hashem at times like this. Like he wants to remind us where the parnassa comes from. This should help me remember iy'h, when things are smoother, where everything comes from so Hashem won't have to "remind" me next month!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 9:29 am
I can sure relate to no food for shabbos. I've had days where my baby wanted a milk bottle and I literally didn't have the 2 dollars for a bottle. We are in major credit card debt from trying to pay minimum bills. We've had everything turned off at one time or another. The schools have repeatedly tried to kick the kids out.
We are in this situation not out of laziness but literally no hatzlacha in the job front. We've tried so many diff. things and nothing ever seems to work. We are currently not starving thanx to food stamps. Life is tough and I hope one day we get out of this bec. it's the pits.
For clothes we use hand me downs and I buy bare minimum all on credit card. I've never been on the other side but from my experience I think the test of poverty must be much worse than the test of ashirus. (maybe I'll have a chance to see one day?!?!)
I jump at invitations to eat out on shabbos bec. I don't always have enough food.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 10:02 am
Quote:
can sure relate to no food for shabbos. I've had days where my baby wanted a milk bottle and I literally didn't have the 2 dollars for a bottle.

Crying And to think I used to cry because I had to choose between buying milk or eggs for the kids (couldn't have both)...This was my first year of marriage...b'h things are better now.
May hashem bless you with all the parnassa you need...and food for this Shabbos and every Shabbos.

Last edited by mimivan on Sat, Jun 02 2007, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 10:06 am
May everyone be blessed b'gashmius uv'Ruchnius!

If anyone is in my area and needs a place to eat on Shabbos, please please don't hesitate to let me know.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 10:13 am
GR wrote:
May everyone be blessed b'gashmius uv'Ruchnius!

If anyone is in my area and needs a place to eat on Shabbos, please please don't hesitate to let me know.

That's a REALLY sweet offer. Too bad I don't live close to you to take you up on that offer.
And for sure- everyone should mamash be blessed with not having to worry about parnassah!

I just wanted to add that I have a bill I have to pay at the grocery- should be paid on the 1st of the month, but I asked the owner if I could PLEASE pay it a couple of days late when my husband's paycheck comes in... And b'h he agreed.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 10:51 am
Wow! I feel bad for those of you who don't have money for Shabbos food. May Hashem bless you with Parnossa soon.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 11:11 am
B"H I have not really had to ask for much, it seems Hashem takes care of things when I have worries..

Like today I was worried about paying for going to NY, and I came into work and there was an envelope that had my name on it. With a note, IY"H when your degree is done you will help someone else Smile

B"H people are supportive in my community, and it's been a great help..

happyone

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:12 pm
[quote="Mitzvahmom"]
Like today I was worried about paying for going to NY, and I came into work and there was an envelope that had my name on it. With a note, IY"H when your degree is done you will help someone else Smile
B"H people are supportive in my community, and it's been a great help..[/quote]

That is beautiful! Hopefully your degree in a new career should make things easier for you.

Last edited by happyone on Sun, Dec 23 2007, 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 7:26 am
We were not well off, but doing OK. I wanted to be at home with the children and we tightened up the budget to make it happen. Now we have had family emergency after emergency to deal with. My mother was willing and able to pay our mortgage last month.

Now I don't know how we will make it through the next few months and get back on our feet.

We went to Jewish Family Services for help and DH makes too much $$ for anything other than a one time gift of food. I accepted the food. I was so emotional I couldn't even load it into the trunk. When I got home and unpacked I noticed that half of the food wasn't even kosher. What was I supposed to do with 5 cans of pork & beans? I donated it to the local food bank.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 07 2007, 8:15 am
amother wrote:

We went to Jewish Family Services for help and DH makes too much $$ for anything other than a one time gift of food. I accepted the food. I was so emotional I couldn't even load it into the trunk. When I got home and unpacked I noticed that half of the food wasn't even kosher. What was I supposed to do with 5 cans of pork & beans? I donated it to the local food bank.

I'm so sorry this happened to you... Crying PM me if you need anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics