Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Camp and sanitary pads

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:12 pm
My dd is almost 12. SHe does not have her period yet. I want to send her with pads just in case. Can anyone suggest how much I should send her with?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:19 pm
Probably 1 pack is more than plenty. Even if she gets it generally the first one is very light.

singleagain

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:35 pm
My first times were heavy.... it can take a while to get the hang of changing. I remember either changing too often or not often enough when I was younger. How long is she going to camp for? And how well does she understand his to properly use pads? I'd suggest a variety pack with different sizes and enough for two weeks. Even if just for one month, bc of the learning curve I mentioned.

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:38 pm
What singleagain said. You can't know before what type of period she'll get so better safe than sorry.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:17 pm
I had our girls practice with both pads and tampons before they went to camp. Never had the first time in camp but they were more comfortable going up.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
I had our girls practice with both pads and tampons before they went to camp. Never had the first time in camp but they were more comfortable going up.

Very smart and considerate of you. There were girls in camp who vaguely knew that the pads were in their suitcase in case they started bleeding down there, but were totally freaked out, shaken and unprepared when it actually hit them.

You might be uncomfortable being explicit with your daughter, but if you rise above your discomfort and do the responsible thing, your daughter won't have a traumatizing first period far away from home.

rachelbg

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:35 pm
I got my period for the first time when I went away to camp. I didn't have any pads with me, and I was soooo nervous about it. I wound up using a bunkmate's just-in-case stash. While she may feel funny bringing it to camp if she doesn't need it yet, she'll be SO grateful that you packed it for her!

#1baker

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:26 pm
Pack it in a nice cosmetic bag nobody has to know what's inside

LittleDucky

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:20 pm
Also tell her to not be afraid to ask the nurse... If she has questions, concerns or needs more.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:50 pm
Send her with a package of flushable wipes. It's really important to stay clean down there, because otherwise you will be a mosquito magnet.

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:

At what age did your girls start using tampons?

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:15 am
Happens to be when I was in 7th grade my mother sent it along with me. Not telling me what it is at all. I was supposed to guess. Anyway thanks god I didn't get it until much later in the game. I would suggest you definatly tell your daughter what it is all about.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:29 pm
groisamomma wrote:
At what age did your girls start using tampons?

The day they got their first period- 12 and 11

sequoia

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Send her with a package of flushable wipes. It's really important to stay clean down there, because otherwise you will be a mosquito magnet.

And bear.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
The day they got their first period- 12 and 11

Same except for age - my DD was grossed out by pads and went straight to tampons. She was 14.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:11 pm
OOC, tampons are hard enough for a young girl to learn, is it comfortable to do so when there isn't the same lubrication a period provides?

rgr

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:20 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I'm not so sure camp sewer systems are designed to take flushable wipes. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for a sewer backup in the bunkhouse!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 10:41 pm
OMG. Brings back memories. I was one of the first girls in my class to have my period, and at that time it was all the rage to figure out which girl already had it and which girl didn't. It just so happened that on the firset day of camp in my life, 7th grade, I got my period (not my first period, but still, I was very young.) I was very nervous and scared about disposing of the pads so other girls wouldnt notice and find out. I also had to make sure to conceal my pack of pads in my locker so no one would know I already had it. In the middle of the summer one of the more popular girls in my class came over to me shaking and crying that she had gotten hers for the first time and had no pads, could I give her some of mine? Sure, I said happily, so happy that a popular girl would admit that she had hers too, to me! As I made my way to my locker she burst out laughing wildly, announcing to one and all that this was just a prank to get me to admit that I had my period already. Ugh, 13 year old bullies!!!

suremom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 10:57 pm
thats so mean! especially when you are at such a vulnerable stage. I feel for the little girl in you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics