Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Goats are fun
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 3:16 pm
Just took a break to sit outside and watch my pet goats frolic/fight.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 3:23 pm
yes they certainly are ...

maybe they could help you clean for pesach ~ ours used to eat everything in sight

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 3:48 pm
My chickens take care of cleanup. They really do eat everything.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 4:04 pm
So jealous! I keep asking dh if we can get a goat or two if and when we live in a house or groundfloor apartment with a yard. He's not too into the idea. Sad

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 4:40 pm
goats are fun but be aware, it's usually not fun for the neighbors. One of my neighbors got a few goats and there are no adults in my neighborhood who are happy about it. they smell, they get out of the gate and eat my bushes, do their business on my front porch, harass visitors. And the smell. Oh..the smell, especially when it's hot, is awful. Be considerate and unless you live on acres of land, do NOT get goats.

spring13

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 6:37 pm
Man, I want a goat and/or chickens.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:01 pm
A friend of mine lives on a moshav with goats and chickens. I am so jealous! I can't wait to go visit her. Goats are flippin' adorable, and are great for clearing large plots of overgrown land. Back in Seattle, you could Rent a Ruminant, and they would come in, fence off the property, and have a goat herder on hand to keep an eye on them. They were always booked out way in advance. They love wild blackberry brambles, poison ivy, boston ivy, and all other kinds of invasive and non native "undesirables".

Chickens can be very sweet, and if you hand raise them from chicks they will bond with you and follow you around the yard. And fresh eggs, YUM!

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:03 pm
You can actually order a goat from Amazon.

My landlord might not be thrilled, though.

Sake

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:04 pm
Dare I say it? A good goat is as fine a pet as a dog!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:32 pm
Come to Baltimore! Pygmy goats are legal to keep as pets here: http://www.farmalliancebaltimore.org/goats/

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:13 pm
So my DH just walked in with our eldest goat's liver. Koshered.

It was getting too large and powerful for our children, in addition to bullying its companions which are of a much smaller breed. So off to the abattoir it went in my DH's car, where it got slaughtered by a qualified shochet.

Tomorrow the rest of the meat will hopefully be delivered by our local butchers who took care of the nikkur, koshering and butchering. We'll have some speciality meat for Shavuos.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:20 pm
I feel like this thread must be a joke that I'm just not getting. Confused

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:22 pm
I kept goats for many years, some were milkers, some for meat. And some became loving pets.

Seas

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
I feel like this thread must be a joke that I'm just not getting. Confused

No joke at all. We'd planned to keep that goat as a pet but it wasn't viable. The options were either selling it for very little (it was a milk breed, of which the kids go fairly cheaply), or enjoying its meat and we chose the latter.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:31 pm
how could you eat a pet ?!?!?!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:28 pm
With BBQ sauce...

Seriously speaking, a pet is not a child or a family member. All it is is an animal which we can cuddle and play with. So it's a bit sad that we don't have our goat any more (that one was our first goat) but I'm not going to be sentimental about it.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:30 pm
I've always wondered why they don't sell goat meat in the kosher stores. Is it because there isn't enough meat per goat? Is it not as tasty? I'm curious, let me know once you eat it. Wink

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:33 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I've always wondered why they don't sell goat meat in the kosher stores. Is it because there isn't enough meat per goat? Is it not as tasty? I'm curious, let me know once you eat it. Wink

I've wondered as well.

gs675

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:42 pm
I've always wanted a pet goat too! Thought I was the only crazy one. I'm happy to see I'm in good company! Smile
Amother where do you live that you can keep goats?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:45 pm
So we had pet goats for about 24 hours. Then we shechted them and ate em.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets