Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Dont leave on the oven for 3 days!!

thegiver

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:18 am
Releases too much harmful gas into your home. Gas company told me. Also try avoid being in kitchen while oven is on especially first five minutes you turn it on.

If you have no choice leave the vent on entire Chag

Xoxo

momX4

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:13 am
I leave a window in the kitchen open all yom tov. Also make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:33 am
I usually do. On a low number. I keep my kitchen window wide open.

observer

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:46 am
It's kind of impossible to tell people not to leave the oven on, food needs to be warmed up. We are home for all the meals, so that's 4 yom tov meals that need to be warmed up! And hot plates have other safety issues.

What I do is I put the oven on very low (everything is already cooked before), and I open windows in the kitchen and DR.

ETA: and I leave the fan in the vent hood on.

Last edited by observer on Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:48 am
Use the fan in your vent hood — that's why it's there!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:50 am
some of us have electric ovens....no gas.

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:51 am
What about electric ovens

sky

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:17 am
I leave it on low.
We have Carbon Dioxide detectors on each floor.

I feel much more comfortable with the oven then using a hot plate.

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:20 am
is leaving on a flame on my gas range the same danger??

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:24 am
Yes. The main danger would be the flame going out — gas would still be coming through the pipe. Make sure your carbon monoxide detector works, and keep the vent fan above your range or cooktop on throughout the YomTov.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:27 am
sky wrote:
I leave it on low.
We have Carbon Dioxide detectors on each floor.

I feel much more comfortable with the oven then using a hot plate.

But the hot plate can be left on a timer. I do though understand being nervous about it. There are new hotplates this year that claim to be safer.

I'm really undecided still about how to heat the food, so suggestions would be helpful. It's especially complicated because of kashrus issues with meat and milk meals.

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:29 am
is it only a danger if the flame goes out? what if it's on the whole 3 days?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:35 am
observer wrote:
It's kind of impossible to tell people not to leave the oven on, food needs to be warmed up. We are home for all the meals, so that's 4 yom tov meals that need to be warmed up! And hot plates have other safety issues.

What I do is I put the oven on very low (everything is already cooked before), and I open windows in the kitchen and DR.

ETA: and I leave the fan in the vent hood on.
I always use my plata on a timer. It is never on for more than two hours at a time. That way its not hot for too long.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:37 am
If the flame is burning clean (all blue) it's likely not producing carbon monoxide. If you see yellow in the flame it needs an adjustment. Either way, turn on a fan that vents to the outside and have a working carbon monoxide detector.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:42 am
Simple1 wrote:
But the hot plate can be left on a timer. I do though understand being nervous about it. There are new hotplates this year that claim to be safer.

I'm really undecided still about how to heat the food, so suggestions would be helpful. It's especially complicated because of kashrus issues with meat and milk meals.

some people hold that you can only use a heat source that was on since before y't. in that case, the timer solution is not a solution.

I leave one flame on and either cook on y't, heat up part of the meal, or serve *gasp* cold food. someone get the smelling salts out Smile

m in Israel

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:43 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Yes. The main danger would be the flame going out — gas would still be coming through the pipe. Make sure your carbon monoxide detector works, and keep the vent fan above your range or cooktop on throughout the YomTov.

I just want to expand on this, because I think a lot of people don't have a clear understanding of the various things to be careful about. There are two different things to be aware of -- "gas" -- as in what comes through the pipe, and carbon monoxide.

Gas is the fuel that allows the fire to burn. The gas companies add a scent to it so if it is leaking into your apartment (like your example of the flame going out while the gas is still turned on), you will begin to smell it. Gas leaking into your apartment is dangerous both because it is not healthy to breathe in and also (primarily) because it is highly flammable. If cvs there is a buildup of gas in your home even the smallest spark can trigger a dangerous fire/explosion. However if the fire is burning properly and there are no problems with your pipes, then there is no danger involved. So if you leave a flame on it is a good idea to keep an eye out that it is still burning properly, and keep a nose out for the smell of gas. Some co detectors also detect gas, but not all do.

Carbon monoxide, OTOH, is a totally different issue. CO is produced primarily by the burning of carbon containing compounds, including gas. When these fuels are burned, particularly in closed in places with less oxygen, they can produce carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is completely odorless and colorless (and since it is produced in your house as the fire burns, obviously no one is adding a scent to it Smile ) and breathing it in prevents your body from being able to use oxygen and can lead to death. A flame that has gone out is not a carbon monoxide risk -- it is the flame that is still burning that is producing carbon monoxide. This is especially true if the flame is not well ventilated (such as a flame under a blech, for example). If you are planning on leaving a flame on over YT (either in the oven or on the stovetop), make sure the room is well ventilated (so as to prevent the build up of carbon monoxide in the room) and that the flame is well ventilated (so as to minimize the production of carbon monoxide to begin with), and make sure to have co detectors because, again there is NO smell involved to warn you. (If you have other fuel burning appliances in your home, such as a boiler, it is important to make sure the same thing is true about them.)

Sorry for the super long post, but I think this information is important. May we all be zoche to a meaningful and safe YT!

Shuly

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:40 am
Last Shavuos, we used a blech with a gas flame lit.
It was really hot, so the air conditioning was also on and the windows were closed because of the air conditioning.

In the middle of our meal, our carbon monoxide detector went off!

The flame under the blech was still lit, but because there were no open windows, it built up too much carbon monoxide.

B"H we had a working CM detector.

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:46 am
Leaving an electric oven on can also be dangerous. I had a friend whose house burned to the ground because the wiring heated up. The fire started in the wall which meant that it was raging and spreading in the walls before they knew it was burning. BH it happened during the day when people were near the doors to the outside and everyone got out safely.

I use a plata on a timer. It goes on at 11am-2:30pm and then again for a few hours for dinner. So it's not on all day or when we are sleeping.

observer

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I always use my plata on a timer. It is never on for more than two hours at a time. That way its not hot for too long.

Ah, that's good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics