Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Just finished 3 Days YT here in Israel.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 11:11 am
Just finished 3 Days YT here in Israel, while for the standard it was only 2 days.

I can say that keepinmg another day YT while all are shoppinng and driving around was NOT easy, and frustrating to some extent, but I went out to meet others which eased it somewhat.

Just interersted if all part time Israelis that come here from abroad hold 2 days YT?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 11:50 am
What is a "part time Israeli"? My understanding is that most Ashkenazic poskim hold that someone who is visiting from Chul just for yom tov keeps yom tov sheini. If someone AlWAYS comes to EY for all 3 regalim it might be different, though. It also becomes complicated when someone is living here (not just visiting), but without the intention of living here permanently (I.e they are here for a year or two and then plan on going back).

I must say that I do not at all miss yom tov sheini since our Aliyah, even though I really love YT. Somehow once you get used to only one day, a second day seems anticlimactic.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 12:03 pm
I live in a very anglo area with a lot of other young American couples who range from newly married to living here for 5+ years. I am one out of ten (in 3 buildings on my block) that keeps one day.

It all depends which rav you ask.

Op, did you get a psak to keep two days or did you decide on your own because you don't plan on living here forever?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 4:01 pm
My daughter is studying in Israel for the year, but she kept one day. Chabad psak is to keep one day in Israel, 2 days in chul, wherever your permanent residence is.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 7:26 pm
m in Israel wrote:
It also becomes complicated when someone is living here (not just visiting), but without the intention of living here permanently (I.e they are here for a year or two and then plan on going back).

when I was a kid I remember hearing a story of someone who went for a year or two planned to go back and were keeping two days for about ten years before they realized they prob weren't going to go back LOL

when I was visiting I actually got a psak of " 1 1/2 days" that one the second day, I could like get in a car if someone else opened and closed the door for me, and paid for me I could have even gone to see a movie, but I felt uncomfortable doing that, though I might have watched a bit of tv at my host's home... and I relied on that when I needed to get to a mik on second day and my host took me in a taxi bc the first one we walked to was closed and she wasn't sure how far the second one was.

sped

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 1:05 am
singleagain wrote:
when I was a kid I remember hearing a story of someone who went for a year or two planned to go back and were keeping two days for about ten years before they realized they prob weren't going to go back LOL

when I was visiting I actually got a psak of " 1 1/2 days" that one the second day, I could like get in a car if someone else opened and closed the door for me, and paid for me I could have even gone to see a movie, but I felt uncomfortable doing that, though I might have watched a bit of tv at my host's home... and I relied on that when I needed to get to a mik on second day and my host took me in a taxi bc the first one we walked to was closed and she wasn't sure how far the second one was.

My friend did this for years. When her oldest son was about 14 I asked her if she really thinks they will ever move back. She said no, thought a bit and (I guess asked a rav) and started keeping just one day.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 2:24 am
Why do you keep 3 days? You don't plan on staying here? Anyone that made aliya only needs to keep 2

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 3:14 am
JMM-uc wrote:
Why do you keep 3 days? You don't plan on staying here? Anyone that made aliya only needs to keep 2

She said she's a "part time Israeli" but didn't explain what it meant.

Maybe she only lives here for part of the year?

Zeleze

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:23 am
Here for a few months now but lan to stay another 2-3 I imagine

We will be going back for visits if this matters
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics