Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Teaching my Child to have seichel

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:17 am
DS is 5 and 1/2. He is a bit unusual in that he struggles with impulsivity but not inattention. Most ADHD children have both. He gets OT and talk therapy. Because he is only impulsive and hes very young he is not a candidate at the time for a stimulant. We have had success bli ayin hara with some natural alternatives that have made him a much calmer child.

Yesterday he had two incidences at the park that showed me just how much of a copy cat he is and it really made me nervous. He let a bunch of older boys egg him on to tell the girls he wanted to marry them and he was really getting on their nerves. Then he let our neighbor who is a year and change older then him convince him to soak his yalmuka in the water fountain.

At the end of the day he did not do anything horrible but it clearly shows me he has no seichel. How do I get him to understand that we don't have to do what people tell us or copy other peoples negative behavior?

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:33 am
Mha,

Based on these 2 examples, I wouldn't worry. They're both completely age-appropriate acts! Have you ever told him not to wet his kippah? It probably felt good on a hot day! And all
kids annoy others by saying one thing or another. There's no reason for him to think he was saying anything wrong. Just calmly explain to him why these aren't good ideas and that he doesn't have to do something because someone else tells hiim to.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 9:33 am
"Parenting Kids With Love and Logic"! Best book out there, especially for kids like this. They will only learn by natural consequences.

If your son will at all work things out in his head, try having a conversation about it later, saying things like "Do you think that was a good idea, or a bad idea?" "Why do you think that?" "What do you think would happen if ....? (fill in the blanks)"

Rinse, repeat, until he's around 25. LOL

My mama always said "Old age doesn't cause gray hair - children do!"

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 5:48 am
He's young. Let him see the consequences for himself, when not dangerous. Do NOT give yourself grey hair from stress!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)