Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you feed them candy for breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 9:42 am
[quote="Motek"]
TzenaRena wrote:
...when it comes to a choice of eating slightly less healthy or starving

Why present it in an exaggerated, unrealistic manner?[quote] it's only slightly exxagerated. Smile I love the recipe Binah posted, and why not, I'd give it a try. But it is really unrealistic to expect that most mothers could get that prepared during or before the morning rush. Of course, during a more leisurely time you could spend the 15 minutes on putting it together, and 20 minutes to bake it.( and another 15 minutes to clean/wash up and put everything away.) But I would want to have a backup easy food available if I didn't, or couldn't.

Quote:
You can buy a box of healthy cereal and kids can eat it with the identical effort it takes to buy candy cereal.
There's a certain brand we use because of the hechsher. I don't know if they produce those other kinds. I know, it's lame, I could get on the phone and play telephone tag with the Vaad haKashrus, and ask which brands/hechsherim of those natural cereals we can use, are Pas yisrael etc.. It's NOT the identical effort, but that's just me personally.

Quote:
Who says it has to be a choice between choking on a rice cake or having a soft cookie? Confused
just bringing out a point. It was a decision I arrived at also.

Sometimes healthy does mean hungry.

People who choose to add the restrictions of natural type foods, diets on to the already restricting kashrus requirements, just have a much more painstaking, time-consuming ordeal of preparing meals. Of course if you enjoy it and have the time, why not.

I tried natural type diet at one point in my life, before children. We were just a couple, but it took me three hours to prepare and serve a 'simple' meal of chickpeas with some kind of sauce and whole grain, and miso soup. When you have hungry spouse and children, they aren't going to sit around patiently for all that!

Like I said, if you have all day to go at it, it should work out just fine. Wink

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 8:41 pm
Yes, cocoa puffs ARE made with whole grains. All General Mills cereals are. I'm not saying eating healthy is bad, but my kids aren't interestedin having eggs and toast for breakfast, and I wasn't either. We buy healthy cereals also, cocoa puffs are for Shabbos. My point was that you can't put sugar cereals and candy bars in the same category.

Another thing, just an observation... I lived with a family in high school who only allowed the healthiest of foods throughout the day. Their children were never allowed sugar cereals, candy, or sweets of any kind. Every one of those children would sneak out to buy candy or get it from their friends at school, they ate a lot more sweets and junk than I did, and I was allowed to have it.

miriam

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 10:22 pm
suomynona wrote:
does anyone know if multi-grain cheerios are more unhealthy than regular? They're definitely sweeter.

Multi have 4 g more of sugar but are loaded with 100% of almost all the nutrients. Cheerios has less than multi. I was actually pretty surprised by that.

And they both have exactly the same amount of simple-carbs which are converted to sugar in the body anyway, so on balance I'd say the multi is actually healthier!

Last edited by miriam on Mon, Jun 11 2007, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

miriam

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
I think cheerios is one of the worst cereals, they have extremely high level of a compound called acrylimide (resin - like) which is a carcinogen that happens during processing. Corn flakes or rice krispies are better.

It's not a resin, it's soluble in water, and it's actually not so clear how toxic it is, because regular stomach acid will destroy it (according to wikipedia anyway). And studies in people have show unclear results for example see: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/ne......html

This is not a new chemical, people have been eating it for thousands of years.

It would be prudent to avoid it, if not for the fact that it's basically impossible to do so. Coffee is one of the worst offenders, and anything starchy baked of fried has it.

Yes, cheerios has a lot, and here is a chart comparing a bunch of cereals http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/acr.....s.pdf

However before looking at that take a look at the chart on this page: http://www.cspinet.org/new/200206251.html which compares cheerios to various other foods.

For right now, there isn't much you can do about it. You can try to cut out some foods, but because few foods have been studied you could actually end up making things worse by substituting some other food that no one checked.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:38 pm
I posted the ingredients for Cocoa Puffs from GM's website. Where in the ingredients does it say "whole grain"?

faigie

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:52 pm
noooooooooooooooo dont pick on my coffee and chocolate, theyre a couple of my fav foods and IMHO should have a special separate bracha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imaamy

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:15 pm
If you go down to almost the bottom of this article, there is a large picture of Cocoa Puffs. I found this article by googling "Cocoa Puffs and Whole Grains."

http://www.sciencenews.org/art.....d.asp
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics