Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What to give 2 eat after schoool before dinner

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:23 am
my 2 1/2 yr old had a half day of school now she will go to a half a day of camp.
even though she eats lunch in school by about 2 when she has been home for 2 hours she wants to eat. I dont want to give her somethign to heavy then she wont eat dinner but it really needs to fill her up so she wont be majorely cranky the rest of the day.

and I want it to be healhty

need ideas please

Shif

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:29 am
So, that would be about 4pm that she would want to eat something?? Why not serve dinner then, and maybe a snack (fruit, yogurt, boiled egg, etc) closer to bedtime? That's what we do.

miri123

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:33 am
She said that is about 2 PM not 4 PM.
But OP your question is my million $ ? because I'm in the same quandary but at 3.30 is quite early for dinner , we eat @ 5:30.
fruits, small sandwiches, pop-corn, veggies...

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:36 am
I give snacks when they come in. Tuna sandwiches, or tuna with crackers or rice cake. Avocado on same. Grilled cheese sandwich.

Cut up fruit. cantelope, watermelon cubes or slices, peaches, grapes.
A yogurt or leben.

cookies and milk, or ceral and milk. (unless they had fleishigs in school).

Orange juice. orange juice ice pops in the summer.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:43 am
apple, banana, yogurt ... serve dinner at 5:00 ...

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:24 am
My kids do the same thing. They eat snack until dinner time and then who wants dinner...? Rolling Eyes

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:29 am
GR wrote:
My kids do the same thing. They eat snack until dinner time and then who wants dinner...? Rolling Eyes

they shouldn't be snacking the whole time ... give them a snack ... v'ze hu ... not close to dinnertime ... and they will still be hungry for din din ..

JMto2

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:32 am
When my daughter comes home from school she is hungry and so I give her some pretzels or I cut up a fruit she gets a drink but I give supper at 4:15 I find she eats the best because I had only given her a small snack

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:36 am
My kids get home by 4.15. I try to always give dinner by 4.45, this worked for years until my oldest (10) started complaing that she didn't want supper so early "like the babies". We came to a compromise - she can eat with everyone else, or alone later.
After supper and homework, around 6 ish, I offer snacks such as yogurt, fruit, popcorn, etc

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:39 am
On the other hand, my 2 year old who is home all day, can be eating all day. So she only eats a good supper if it is something she absolutely LOVES so I have to make sure she is nashing on healthy things.

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:54 am
greenfire wrote:
GR wrote:

they shouldn't be snacking the whole time ... give them a snack ... v'ze hu ... not close to dinnertime ... and they will still be hungry for din din ..

but they ask for more and tell me they're still hungry.
so yesterday I gave them dinner right after their snack... at 3:30. Surprised I figured what difference does it make it they eat an hour early. They go to bed the same time as always so they just have more time to play after dinner. What

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:16 pm
We have yogurt, water and a cut up fruit. Takes the edge off the hunger, but not too filling.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:42 pm
My kids are all home by 3:30- they come home starving and sounding as if they havent eaten in days Rolling Eyes So I give them dinner when they come home around 3:30 - 4:00 and sometimes they don't even need a snack later on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics