Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mastery course- Dina Friedman
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Pooh

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 1:32 pm
Can anyone describe what the "hard work" entails? Just introspectively or there are actual assignments (what would those be?) idk in just confused what the work is..

benny

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:05 pm
The hard work is a lot of hours of thinking, giving a lot of time to it. Giving it full focus.

It takes a lot of time which most people don't have!

Bored

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:09 pm
This is what has been bothering me. What are Dina's qualifications and where does she list them? How can a layman claim she replaces therapy? and how can she offer therapy sessions? and if she isnt a layman, why isnt it written on her site?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:15 pm
Is she actually claiming to replace therapy and is she offering therapy sessions? Or was that just an imamother poster saying that this could accomplish something similar to therapy for less money?

I think it's very important to realize that these types of courses can accomplish a tremendous amount - like giving tools and skills for effective parenting, and helping people master their own emotions when parenting (disclaimer: I took half of Dina's regular course, never finished - plan too one day! - and did not take the mastery course), deal with certain more difficult behaviors in children, etc....but it is not a replacement for therapy, especially where there have been severe issues, like abuse, neglect, and trauma.

benny

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:16 pm
To be honest I don't have a clue. I wasn't doing this instead of therapy. Does she say somewhere that this will replace therapy? I know that I took her parenting class and loved it and really gained a lot from it.

When she advertised a course to gain mastery over ones self, improve relationships, self esteem... That talked to me and I can tell you it was well worth it.

Bored

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:17 pm
I take it back, her website says: The Mastery program is given by Mrs. Dina Friedman, world renowned lecturer and mentor in parenting, self- awareness, and spiritual growth. Dina is a trained therapist in guided imagery, and a Demartini method facilitator. She has been sharing her wisdom with women around the world for over a decade as well as running her own private practice. Dina was raised in Melbourne, Australia, and currently lives with her husband and 9 children bli ayin hara in Eretz Yisroel, where she belongs to the Belzer community.

I am going to continue looking to see if it says more about her credentials

I did not find more about her credentials and I am almost sure her ads say s/th about being more effective than therapy, but I can be wrong. when I was taking her chanoch lnaar course she did say that she had some sort of parenting certificate or s/th, but never anything about a therapy degree. I would be interested in hearing more about that. And I do know that she charges a lot of money for a one on one

Last edited by Bored on Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:19 pm
That was one of my major issues with her- she spoke against therapy, claimed that it was a waste if time and not very effective( with the exception of a diagnosed disorder.)

I don't agree and that is a dangerous statement coming from such a charismatic women.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
That was one of my major issues with her- she spoke against therapy, claimed that it was a waste if time and not very effective( with the exception of a diagnosed disorder.)

I don't agree and that is a dangerous statement coming from such a charismatic women.

That's what I'm trying to understand - in what context was the one on one session offered? It's a lesson? Kind of like tutoring? It's a session based on personal growth? And what is she charging for it? I'm scared to recommend it because it sounds like if what someone needs is really therapy, it can be harmful.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

That's also a very disingenuous and misleading statement. Therapy is ALWAYS for a diagnosed disorder. If you don't have a disorder, why would you be in therapy? A therapist can't even see you without a diagnostic code.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 2:51 pm
debsey wrote:
That's also a very disingenuous and misleading statement. Therapy is ALWAYS for a diagnosed disorder. If you don't have a disorder, why would you be in therapy? A therapist can't even see you without a diagnostic code.

There's a difference between seeing s therapist for a personality disorder such as borderline personality disorder and seeing a therapist to learn how to deal with stress or trauma.( well technically PTSD is also a disorder, as is anxiety or depresion...) if you want to get technical you can put a disorder to every type of emotion disregulation.

Dina Friedman claims her course can help anyone with the exception of bipolar disorder.

busymom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 4:57 pm
I took Dina's course and don't remember ever hearing her say that it replaces therapy, is better than therapy, or anything of that sort. I'd actually be surprised if she'd have said sth like that, because in general, she's very positive and doesn't knock anyone else's choices or methods and doesn't become defensive when listeners question something. (Perhaps it's a sentiment taken out of context, idk.) In fact, she always encourages women to listen to their instincts and ignore something she says if it doesn't feel right for them at the time. Having said all that, I DO think that her course can be as helpful as a a year in therapy for self growth and improving interpersonal relationships. Obviously, I'm not talking about therapy to discuss specific abuse, trauma or the like, but rather the type that is growth-oriented and designed to give a person skills for improved relationships in general.

About the one-on-one sessions: that is not a part of the course itself. Rather, if someone chooses to do so, they can call to schedule a private session with her. If all they have is a question or comment, these can be left on her voicemail at any time and she answers them during the next session, or they can be asked during live Q&A.

Dina is an unusually wise and spiritual person but I don't think she has any degrees in psychology, social work or the like. She DID take many courses, such as Dimartini and others, and is just a person who seems to be very well read and knowledgeable and possessing an extra dose of binah yeseirah. In the live Q&A you can sometimes hear her approach a question in an unexpected way and then as the caller responds, it is clear that she picked up on the crux of the issue, which was not immediately obvious.

I personally know quite a few people who took her course. Two or three have remained devoted "followers" who keep retaking the course because they like that it keeps them in a growth-oriented place and claim that each time they can "hear" different aspects better and grow in different ways. For others, including myself, it was a positive, one-time experience.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:10 pm
busymom wrote:
I took Dina's course and don't remember ever hearing her say that it replaces therapy, is better than therapy, or anything of that sort. I'd actually be surprised if she'd have said sth like that, because in general, she's very positive and doesn't knock anyone else's choices or methods and doesn't become defensive when listeners question something. (Perhaps it's a sentiment taken out of context, idk.) In fact, she always encourages women to listen to their instincts and ignore something she says if it doesn't feel right for them at the time. Having said all that, I DO think that her course can be as helpful as a a year in therapy for self growth and improving interpersonal relationships. Obviously, I'm not talking about therapy to discuss specific abuse, trauma or the like, but rather the type that is growth-oriented and designed to give a person skills for improved relationships in general.

About the one-on-one sessions: that is not a part of the course itself. Rather, if someone chooses to do so, they can call to schedule a private session with her. If all they have is a question or comment, these can be left on her voicemail at any time and she answers them during the next session, or they can be asked during live Q&A.

Dina is an unusually wise and spiritual person but I don't think she has any degrees in psychology, social work or the like. She DID take many courses, such as Dimartini and others, and is just a person who seems to be very well read and knowledgeable and possessing an extra dose of binah yeseirah. In the live Q&A you can sometimes hear her approach a question in an unexpected way and then as the caller responds, it is clear that she picked up on the crux of the issue, which was not immediately obvious.

I personally know quite a few people who took her course. Two or three have remained devoted "followers" who keep retaking the course because they like that it keeps them in a growth-oriented place and claim that each time they can "hear" different aspects better and grow in different ways. For others, including myself, it was a positive, one-time experience.

Totally not out of context. I took it three or four years ago, the very first year she presented it and she very clearly stated in the first or second class that this method does what therapy can't, ( I can find you the exact quote if you want)

And wise or spiritual she may be, but those traits cannot take the place of real training and supervision.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:28 pm
Maybe Google or check out books on the DeMartini method and see if it appeals to you.

I didn't take this course, and I'm wondering if it is basically DeMartini or more than that?

busymom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe Google or check out books on the DeMartini method and see if it appeals to you.

I didn't take this course, and I'm wondering if it is basically DeMartini or more than that?

She devotes a few weeks to it mid-course but it's definitely not the entire thing. She also talks about understanding and accepting our emotions, to hear what they're telling you and how to deal with them, and towards the end she discusses marriage and intimacy, among other things.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 6:37 pm
The big issue with her is that she has no credentials, no professional background or training, and no licensing guidelines to follow. So she basically can say and do whatever she wants with no repercussions.

My questions are;. Who does she answer to? Who supervises her? Does she give citations so people can access reference sources on their own for verification and clarification? How is she empowering the people who pay her for this information aside from making them dependent on her and her courses? The fact that she does not publish, is highly secretive about her information and reinforces this secrecy with the people who take her courses, and is highly mercenary, charging enormous amounts of money for prerecorded classes, is deeply concerning. There are too many red flags here.

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
The big issue with her is that she has no credentials, no professional background or training, and no licensing guidelines to follow. So she basically can say and do whatever she wants with no repercussions.

My questions are;. Who does she answer to? Who supervises her? Does she give citations so people can access reference sources on their own for verification and clarification? How is she empowering the people who pay her for this information aside from making them dependent on her and her courses? The fact that she does not publish, is highly secretive about her information and reinforces this secrecy with the people who take her courses, and is highly mercenary, charging enormous amounts of money for prerecorded classes, is deeply concerning. There are too many red flags here.

I don't get what the big deal is....I don't think she passes herself as a therapist. Why is she any different than your next door neighbor ? Why should she have to answer to anyone?

I personally am not into her course . My sisters in law took her parenting ones and said it's very nice if your kids are typical kids...if they're complicated or not typical, you don't gain much.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 7:20 pm
cnc wrote:
I don't get what the big deal is....I don't think she passes herself as a therapist. Why is she any different than your next door neighbor ? Why should she have to answer to anyone?

I personally am not into her course . My sisters in law took her parenting ones and said it's very nice if your kids are typical kids...if they're complicated or not typical, you don't gain much.

Exactly. She is no different than your next door neighbor. And her information should be treated as such. My point is that buyers should be aware of how much transparency is missing g in her approach and what is wrong with that lack of transparency. I think in the frum world people can be highly gullible and susceptible to those who pass themselves off as experts,gurus, or the like, and we need to do a lot more to demand transparency from these people. Our culture tends to promote these self made experts, but there are a lot of inherent risks involved.

chanab

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:02 am
I took her course a couple of years ago. I found it to be extremely helpful in some areas and lacking in others. I think she tries to pack too much into a one year course. She would be better off offering 4-6 weeks modules for sustained personal growth.

I would also love to take a de martini course from the institute itself. I felt that she was "spoonfeeding " the answers too much but maybe I felt that way because of my background in coaching (I am a personal and professional development coach) where nothing is spoonfed and the client is empowered to come to their own answers.

I also think that she should have provided access to the demartini facilitators for longer than a month (You were able to have a ten/fifiteen minute consult while working on the demartini method)

With that I must say that I did benefit tremendously and with certain tweaks I think her course could be really amazing.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:13 pm
So, let me get this straight - you are paying 500.00 for how many weeks of pre-recorded lectures? And how long is the Q&A session? Does everyone get to participate, or only a few people get to ask their questions? What if they don't get to your question during the Q&A, are you given priority the next week?

I really want to understand, because if I agree to pay for this for my relative, I want to understand exactly what I'm paying for!

benny

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 3:25 pm
It took close to a year. (Took small
Breaks for yt, a few weeks before pesach...) There were over 30 recorded classes, a new one gets uploaded each Sunday. The q and a was every Wednesday. At any point between Sunday and Wednesday you can leave a question on her line. I found every question of mine was answered either in the q and a or in the next class. On the love q and a a select few got to ask a live question. I guess of someone didn't get on they can leave it on her phone line or try to get on the next week and see if question is still applicable.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics