Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My ds needs surgery :(

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 5:50 pm
So it turns out that what we thought was an undescended testicle is an ectopic testicle meaning, it's basically on his thigh. He just turned one and so we have go get it taken care of before there's damage to it, or he loses use of it, etc. chas v'shalom!!! So, I just found out today and am sad. I know, b"h it's not as bad as other things, but I have heard so much bad stuff about anesthesia and surgery that I'm nervous.

B"H we have a good doctor, but it's just rather sudden. We went in and he scheduled us for surgery.

I made the date for surgery during the 3 weeks - I didn't even realize, and dh wants me to reschedule. I hope I can!

Anyone hear of this before?

SingALong

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 6:30 pm
I never heard of this condition before but I can share with you my experience with my daughter's eye surgery.
She had an eye that drifted so she needed surgery to align the muscles correctly. I was a nervous wreck for days before hand. I saw a few doctors so hearing from several ppl. that she needed surgery confirmed to me that it was a necessary procedure.
her surgery was just one day so we got there early in the morning, prepped for surgery with the hospital staff, and they put her under with a mask. she awoke several hours later groggy and cranky. she was also afraid of the iv's and tubes going into her body and tried taking it off. we relaxed her by giving her a bottle to drink while seh sat on my lap and watched a video. the nurses gave her stickers and ices to cheer her up. they didn't take out the ivs until they saw she can drink without vomiting. ( some kids get nauseas from the anestesia.)
she was groggy, sleepy and cranky for the next couple of days but otherwise she was fine.
I dont know how severe your sons surgery is, how long he'll be in the hopital, or how he'll react to the anestisia. but the drs know what to do and they will do what's best for your child. u be there to comfort him and hold him.
good luck!!!
I hope you get thru this without too much stress!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 6:50 pm
Thanks so much for your kind words. B"H, he won't be in the hospital more than a few hours. The dr. does 9 surgeries in 1 day! I hope all will go as planned and that he's safe and healthy...that's all I can ask.

shoy18

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:06 pm
my son had surgery for an undescended testicle, it was short and once he was able to drink a bottle he was able to go home. Babies have an unbelievable ability to bounce back. He was sitting up and playing with his toys hours after we brought him home, we gave him pain killers but he didn't seem like he was in any pain at all. I hope this helps

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:14 pm
I know someone who had undescended testicles and b"h has a baby today - hang in there at least the dr noticed it wasn't typical and will be able to take care of the problem

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:56 pm
Thank you all.

bashinda

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:08 pm
Hatzlacha Raba! Having a baby in hospital is never fun and it's got to be even more stressful when it's surgery!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 8:24 pm
I had that with my oldest son. He had an undesented testicle. It was really high up. about under his belly button (on the side)
He had surgery and everything was fine bh. The longer you wait, the harder it is.... he was then at time of surgery 2 yrs old. He forgot about it right away. P.s.undesended testicle problems are horeditery (sorry for spelling) He is now 5 yrs old, doesnt remember at all.... and will never know....
I have 3 boys... all have the same problem....
I have 8 brothers 6 out of 8 had this surgery when thay were younger. they all have a family of kids themselves. (most of their boys had surgery too... Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics