Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
A/o here sewed a kittel?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 8:23 pm
DS only wears 100% cotton shirts & can't bring himself to buy a poly/cotton kittel. OTOH he doesn't like the expensive ones... (Oh and he says most of the ones in the store are chassidish & he won't wear right over left!)

I told him I would think about making one for him. Obviously will need to modify a pattern... just wondering if anyone has advice to offer?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:33 pm
Nobody?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 4:17 am
Just copy the shape of his shirt. Usually the armholes and sleeves are looser. Decide if you want lace and pintucks like the store bought ones. It seems a simple thing to make.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 11:34 am
can you buy a chassidishe kittel and switch around the buttons? I'd imagine this would be easier to do on a kittel that has hidden buttons.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 11:46 am
are you sure there are no kittels with 100% cotton

either way if you can sew it should be easy enough ...

but the idea of switching the buttons to the other side sounds easier even to me & I sew

more than which side buttons - the lace bothers me

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 12:13 pm
Well, I looked at DH's & there's a covered placket, so I suppose in theory I could take it off and attach to the other side. I am pretty sure, though, it wouldn't be perfectly centered (the pattern on the placket) because I would need some seam allowance and I think what's there is trimmed or serged.

DH says all kittels are made that way & DS should just get over it!

I know I could use a shirt pattern but - it's not going to give me the right amount of fabric. For that I guess I could see if there's a man's robe or something like that...

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 12:51 pm
so for the 3 or 4 times a year he wears a kittel your sonny boy is going to take issue ... really it's not that bad

if you want a better pattern to follow - follow an actual kittel rather than a shirt pattern - just flip the sides you buttonhole

acemom

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 7:03 pm
I can't help but wonder, what is the point of the kittel in the first place?

Seems like someone is making a big deal about the wrong things.

JMNSHO

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 3:50 pm
1. He needs a kittel cause he's a chosson

2. He's a heisah misnaged (I know that's an oxymoron) so very opposed to wearing right over left. I know chassidim have some kabbalah inyan of chesed over gevurah, maybe. (someone feel free to correct me).

But according to DS it's beged isha. Hopefully he'll give in on that because he respects DH a lot & DH told him it's no big deal since that's how all kittelach are made. There are only chassidish kittelach and chassidishe shechitah, so if DS wants to stop eating chassidish shechitah, he may as well become a vegetarian...

3. You'd have to know DS to understand why he says this, but he says he refuses to buy something with ruffles (and he's including the kittel with pleats. Though he knows what pleats are. He wears pants with pleats, at least he did when they were in style, I am sure.).

Because - wait for it - he's not agreeing to be buried in a kittel with pleats. I told him, zolst leben biz hundredt un tzvantzig, you'll wear out several kittels before then.

But of course one doesn't wear out a kittel by wearing it two to four times a year....

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 5:09 pm
http://www.eichlers.com/kittel......html

http://www.joann.com/wrights-s......html

http://www.joann.com/quilt-blo......html
[something like this is white will be nice as well]

after taking off buttons - add quilt binding or any binding to this simple kittel on both sides ... then flip flaps around & sew new button holes on opposite side ... the previous button holes will be covered by the new binding

p.s. most kittels I know are bought by the kallah as is the tallis

I don't think he should be looking that far into the future ... not to mention all that lace looks feminine to me

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 5:54 pm
Thanks, greenie!
Our next question was why we would pay $100 for what is essentially an elongated cotton shirt?

I told him, Charles Tyrwhitt does custom shirts, so ask them if they'll make you a robe-length one!

(I know, the kallah asked if he wants to just go choose tallesim and kittel etc & they store will just bill them.)

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 6:50 pm
your son has more issues according to what you write. he needs to grow up. I never heard a chasan talk this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing