Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My daughter needed stitches

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:06 am
About 2 weeks ago my 6 year old daughter got hurt at camp and needed 3 stitches on her face. I took her to a plastic surgeon who covered the stitches with a steri strip type bandage. He said to ignore it and the stitches will dissolve and the bandage will come off on its own. On the way out of the doctors office, I asked the secretary how long to wait until the bandage falls off and she said about 5-7 days. It's almost 2 weeks since then and the bandage is still on. 2 of my friends told me that the longer the bandage stays on, the better so that the wound stays protected. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to make a big deal about it and I'd rather just leave it alone but is it true that the longer it stays on, the better? I'm hesitant to call the doctor because I don't want the bandage removed if it's not necessary.

cm

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:29 am
Call the doctor. He (or the nurse you speak to on the phone) will know best.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:01 am
Call the dr.
He may tell you to soak it with a wet cloth and let it come off or he may tell you to pull it off or leave it on.
Hard to know. Depends on a lot.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:29 pm
Call the doctor.

If it's really good for it to stay on longer, he will let you know. If it should come off, then he will tell you that. I would definitely follow a plastic surgeon's advice over the advice of a friend or one of us on here (even if someone here claims to be a plastic surgeon, you could never know if they're for real....)

Ahuvah2

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:31 pm
Call the Dr.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:11 pm
stitches can cause unnecessary scaring if left in too long ... this is her face please bring her back to the doctor for removal

if they're dissolvable band-aids could get dirty and harbor infection - it pays to call to double check

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:01 pm
I'm a nurse. Stitches are usually removed after 7-10 days. The bandage should definitely be taken off and the area washed gently with soap and water. Make sure when removing the bandage not to pull on the stitches.

Definitely double check with your doctor.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:01 pm
Stitches on the face for a minor cut should never be left in for more than 5 (at the very most 7) days to reduce scarring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children