Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
ATTENTION NYC DOE TEACHERS

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 4:20 pm
Hi,
I'm currently teaching in a NYC public school. I'm looking to possible move out of state. Has anyone here successfully moved and worked in another state AND started on a similiar pay scale in the new school. I'm afraid that when I begin working in another state my salary will take a tremendous hit because I'll be considered a new teacher in that state.

More specifically:
New Jersey public schools?
Baltimore public schools?
Cleveland public schools?

Please advise.
Thanks!

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 8:43 pm
Cleveland public schools are definitely going to pay way less than nyc. My sister is a salaried speech therapist working straight for the cleveland board of ed. She works full time. This past year was her fourth year working in cleveland public schools and she made around 45k plus excellent benefits. However the housing in cleveland is literally half of nyc. My sister is paying 800 for a two bedroom apartment.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 02 2016, 11:25 pm
Thanks chocolatecake! That's what I was afraid of. Anybody else?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:13 pm
Funny, my DH and I just had a conversation along these lines a few weeks ago. While I'm not a teacher, I work in the NYC public school system as an occupational therapist. My DH would love to move out of NYC as cost of living is astronomical for a growing family. My concern is where would we move where I can find a comparable job in terms of location (I am B"H lucky to be a school very close to my home), hours, paid vacation days, benefits and salary. While I understand that the dollar amount doesn't need to be the same since cost of living will be cheaper elsewhere, it needs to be the same relative to cost of living. I have no interest in moving if it means I end up working in another setting where I have a harder job, with more hours, for less money. I will definitely be following this thread and see if anyone has any ideas.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:22 pm
So I guess we're in the same boat, blush amother.
You know they say that working for the board of ed is like a jail sentence. Once you get in you're stuck till you can retire!

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:25 pm
Most Depts of Education have their salaries online. This is chicago's http://www.ctunet.com/for-memb.....dules

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
So I guess we're in the same boat, blush amother.
You know they say that working for the board of ed is like a jail sentence. Once you get in you're stuck till you can retire!

Yup, I have heard that before. At this point I haven't been in for that long (only working about 5 years) so I don't feel like I would be losing out too much by leaving now. I keep thinking though that the longer I stay in the less "worth it" it is to leave. Also, for related service providers it's sometimes even harder because no other state provides services through the BOE like NYC does. For most people this ends up meaning they have enormous caseloads and travel between many schools. Or they need to switch to another area, such as rehab, nursing home, etc., and the hours/number of days off/optional summer, etc. are not nearly as good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics