Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Playing outside, alone
Previous  1  2

Ima'la

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 1:08 am
I see a lot of posters are not writing where they are from, as OP requested. I think that makes a big difference. If I am not mistaken, the posters who are saying you can never let a child play in the front yard without a parent outside - live in Brooklyn. I grew up in suburbia, and backyard / front yard - I don't remember being restricted as to the difference. But the neighborhood was different from the city and so was the nature of the yard (I.e. more space - less temptation to wander off). And my mother knew us well enough to know that she could trust us not to leave the property. Of course, when I say "unsupervised," I mean my mother was in the house and checked on us now and then - I don't mean going to sleep!

Seraph

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 1:54 am
chen wrote:
amother wrote:

Is letting kids play without supervision child abuse, in your opinion?

That's neglect, not abuse. One is a sin of omission, the other is a sin of commission.

Legally neglect is also considered abuse.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 12:00 pm
Quote:
If I am not mistaken, the posters who are saying you can never let a child play in the front yard without a parent outside - live in Brooklyn.

Right. But the problem is when other posters from Brooklyn say that it's the norm in their neighborhood to send babies out unsupervised.
Do others agree with me that 2/3/4 year old kids shouldn't play in front of the house alone in Brooklyn?

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 12:27 pm
I grew up in suburbia too. My siblings and I always played outside. Everyday. All day. Backyard. Front yard. Riding our bikes in the street. And no my parents weren't always watching us. We always were with other kids though. Either siblings or neighbors. I still get freaked out though when I think of my little siblings playing outside alone. There are sick people everywhere.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 12:40 pm
Me too. At 5 years old I would walk around our street by myself. I was definitely playing alone in the backyard when I was younger than that.

chen

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 2:25 pm
Piper wrote:
I never let my daughter play outside alone, and she is 11. Too many stories around here of kidnappings/near kidnappings.

When I was a kid, it was the norm for kids to be out all day playing. No one was afraid.

We live in a sad world. Crying

How right you are. Different times, different mores. When I was a four-year-old couch potato, my mother would practically throw me outside to play by myself. Back then (in Colonial days LOL ) that was ok and no one would look twice at a preschooler walking around the neighborhood by herself. ( I even crossed the street by myself.) Nowadays that is definitely NOT ok. The world is bigger. more crowded, and more dangerous. Cars are faster, and there are more of them. People are more violent, and there are more of them. What was OK in Bubby's time is not ok in ours. What have our children lost...

chen

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 2:31 pm
[quote="GAMZu"]
Quote:

Do others agree with me that 2/3/4 year old kids shouldn't play in front of the house alone in Brooklyn?

I'm with you, dearie. I don't care WHERE they live. If it's not a pervert, it's a car; if not a car, a terrorist; if not a terrorist, a bigger but still immature or aggressive kid who doesn't know the limitations of a baby. Kids do get snatched out of their very own front yards in peaceful, affluent suburban communities while their mommas are inside doing the laundry.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics