Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Vanity Fair

sequoia

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 1:43 pm
I am nearly done with Thackeray's "Vanity Fair," and I'd love to discuss it. Is it really "A Novel without a Hero"? Has anything truly changed? Do we still treat people based on their wealth? Is Becky a sympathetic character after all?

Btw I loved that Thackeray mentioned that the "Hebrew gentlemen" "brought their own provisions" on a cruise Smile

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 07 2016, 1:53 pm
I read it so long ago I don't remember it. Maybe I will have to read it again.

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:21 pm
Ok, I finished it. Frankly I was kind of disappointed in the ending. Dobbin yelling at Amelia for friendzoning him, the Dobbins refusing to see Becky even though *she's the one that brought them together*, the implication that Becky murdered Jos...

Fox

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:56 pm
Started re-reading it -- it had been decades.

I remember it being one of those books that I wanted to like more than I actually liked it. I'll have to see if 30+ years makes a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room