Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Help organize and prepare me for guests

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:21 am
It's official.

My entire family, total about 10people, just announced they plan on coming to us for succos. We are very excited as we hardly get to see the whole family together as we live about 8hr drive from them.

As excited as I am, I need to start preparing myself so that it all goes smoothly. But I need your advice! (All this applies also to a regular Shabbos so don't get all upset that I'm talking about succos so early!!!)

I have a neighbor going away from the entire yuntif who graciously offered her house got my family to sleep in. Which is amazing that they will have a place to disappear to that isn't in my house.

Here's what I need help with to get through the yuntif emotionally and mentally intact:
I can easily do most of the cooking in advance (chicken meat kugel etc) before and freeze. But a bunch of my family is very health conscious and really enjoy salads and the like (I.e. Stuff you can't freeze). How do I prepare all the veggies and salads without being so rushed Eruv yuntif and before the meals. (I'd like to add the most of the family are male and as much as they'd like to help, lets just say
It's prob easier that they don't)

I have 4 small kids so as you can imagine a regular Eruv Shabbos is hectic enough. How do I prepare everything and get everything ready without the Eruv yuntif Rush??? I'd like to spend time with the family and not always be rushing and running. Dh helps a lot but bh our kids are leibadik.

I need tips on how to be as organized as possible so I can be relaxed and enjoy being with my family.

Just to add, I run a business from my home and it can sometimes get very busy (bh) around yuntif time. I am usually very good at balancing work and home but sometimes works gets super busy and I don't have so much time to leave to being organized and prepared for Shabbos as I'd like

All suggestions and tips are appreciated. As I said- this all really
Applies to a reg Shabbos also so don't start getting upset that I'm talking about succos already!!!

5mom

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:58 am
As you said, make the freezer stuff (challah, soup, kugels, rice, some desserts) in advance. You can prepare some kinds of chicken and meat ahead of time so that they just have to be put into the oven.

Now for the salads. You can make salad dressings a few days before yom tov. Don't be a martyr, buy bagged salads. That cuts the work down enormously. If you are going to add toppings (nuts, craisins, roasted ramen noodles) prepare them in advance and store in Ziploc bags.

Vegetables side dishes are easy - you can buy frozen veggies and microwave them. Season and make fancy as desired (with seasoning that you prepared before the company arrived) but there's nothing wrong with plain steamed vegetables.

You can cut and oven-roast just about any vegetable. If you have a BBQ grill you can do them outside, otherwise just cook them like anything else. On yom tov morning, before shul, cut up a mix (eg red peppers, zucchini, eggplant and purple onion), spray with a bit of oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper (or red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil, whatever the family likes) and pop into the oven on a roasting pan. Let it cook while everything else warms up. That's it.

For dessert, fancy fruit platters are lovely if you have the time and energy. But at least once, serve grapes, or - gasp!- a bowl of whole fruits.

Enjoy your company!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:15 am
Hire help for each day of succos. She can come in the mornjng and help cook, cut up vegetables for salads, set the table, serve and cleanup. She can also help with the keeps and clean up toys, sweep, and do anything else you need. I hire help every yom tov and it's amazing what a difference it makes.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:24 am
Some vegetable side dishes freeze well, such as ratatouille.

This mushroom dish freezes nicely and makes an amount that's good for a crowd:

40 oz white/button mushrooms, quartered
2 large onions, diced
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp crushed garlic
Onion and garlic powder to taste
3 Tblsp chopped parsley

Sautee onion first. After a little while add the mushrooms and seasoning, but not the parsley. Cook for at least 45 minutes and add the parsley at the very end.

Edited to fix typo that completely changed the cooking instructions.

Last edited by Rutabaga on Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:51 am
Look for salads that involve little chopping or things that can be prepped in advance.

Bagged cabbage holds pretty well for a few days. Try some of these recipes:

Regular coleslaw:

1 package coleslaw mix
1/2 cup light mayo
3 Tblsp sugar
3 Tblsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

Mix mayo, sugar, s&p, then add vinegar. Dress the coleslaw the night before serving (or at least a few hours ahead).

Asian coleslaw:

1 package green cabbage
1 package red cabbage
Scallions, chopped
Sesame seeds (optional)

Dressing:
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tblsp sesame oil
1/3 cup canola/vegetable oil
S&P
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 cup honey
3 cloves garlic, minced (or use 3 frozen cubes)

Dress the cabbage at least 30 minutes before serving.

Red cabbage salad:

2 packages red cabbage
2 peppers, cut in thin strips
1/2 cup honey- coated almonds, crushed

Dressing:
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt

Dress at least 30 minutes before serving. You can leave out the peppers if that's too much work or the almonds if someone is allergic or they add too many calories.

This is one of my favorite make ahead salad recipes - Marinated Zucchini Salad:

1 lb zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced thinly
1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
Salad greens
Pine nuts (optional)

Dressing:
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tblsp oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried tarragon or marjoram

Mix the dressing in a large container with a lid. Add the zucchini, pepper, and onion. Marinate overnight. Spoon vegetable mixture over salad greens. Add pine nuts if you like.

chani8

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 3:27 am
Build it yourself sushi is so fun and easy. I put out sliced lox and cold steamed salmon, and tuna (no mayo), for the fish. I put out shredded veggies. And cold rice. Soy sauce and hot mustard. And cut the sushi wraps into quarters and halves. My kids beg for sushi to be on the menu. It's fun and yummy.

The other thing we do is a mexican bowls or build your own burrito. Serve up rice, beans, shredded lettuce, salsa, meat or cheese. My family loves that one too.

Both of these are the full course. We make motzi then serve it all up. Fun and easy.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:34 am
OP, I hear ya. I also get super-stressed with this type of thing. The more you can do in advance the better!

You've had some great suggestions so far. I'd add pre-making and freezing several dinners for you, hubby and kids to eat in the run-up to Succos, also sandwiches for the kids' lunches, and getting a teen in to help with the kids in the hectic few days close to Yuntif.

Enjoy Smile

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:07 am
Great suggestions so far!
I make several salads that need to marinate for several days. Coleslaw & salads that use peppers as well as cooked /baked vegetables . Also quinoa that I add to fresh vegetables.
I prepare different dressings as well to keep in the fridge. A variety of healthy kugels like mushroom, broccoli etc.
But the best advice you already got - get cleaning help Yuntif morning.
If not both days than just second day.
It will make everything fall into place & keep you stress free.

anotherima

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 2:47 pm
Great topic, thx for posting. I like the idea of just buying the bagged prechecked lettuce and throwing in prepared craisins, nuts, ramen noodles etc. Especially for this year when we have many yom tovim starting sunday night.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 3:46 pm
I love this salad, it can be made in advance and its big.

2-3 colored peppers
1 purple onion
4 carrots
4 cucumbers

4t water
⅓ cup oil
¾ cup sugar
½ cup vinegar
pinch of salt

Slice all the vegetables into thin strips, I like 2-3" long. Shake the dressing and pour over the veggies. Put in a storage container. Mix it up a bit so everything gets marinated.

-Cut the vegetables for salads the day before and store them separately.
-put your family to work cutting vegetables.
-get mandarin oranges, crasins, fruit and nuts to dress up simple salads.
-make a bunch of dressings a week before, serve a salad bar.
-find zucchini, squash, broccoli, spinach, and other cooked vegetable dishes.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 4:30 pm
I wrote a long thing and then my phone died to will summarize
1. Assign a few people to help with set up, serving and cleaning for each meal
2. Use paper
3. Marinated mushrooms,
Moroccan carrot salad,
Beet salad, Hungarian cucumber salad can all be made ahead
4. Some easy dairy meals-
A. Cheese platter, lox,
Bread, big salad, made ahead salads
B. Greek salad, salmon with lemon and garlic made on yomtov, roasted zuchinni or haricot verts made on yomtov
C. Quiche, macaroni and cheese casserole and lasagna can all be made ahead and frozen
5. Can make salad without lettuce like Israeli with chickpeas, peppers, avacado, hearts of palm. Can make grated carrot salad ( buy the grated carrots).
6.salad Nicoise is a full yummy light meal for yomtov
7. Can your guests bring challah, dessert, paper goods, fruit?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics