Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I almost freaked out-where are the parents?

amother

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 10:05 am
last night we got back from mothers day dinner in the city.
As we drive on Ocean Parkway I see 2 small children -a boy-7 a girl-6
frum children on their bikes.it was 10:15 pm
so I was thinking dont they have school tomorrow?
and then I see that they are all alone!nobody is watching them!no one behind them and they get into this busy interscation trying to cross the st when care turn onto their side almost killing them.they had no helmots no lights-nothing!
I nearly fainted.
where are the parents?????????

greenfire

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 10:11 am
it's amazing what people do these days ... they leave kids to raise themselves ... who knows where they are ... and they probably don't even care ... kids need supervision and bedtimes ...

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 10:58 am
Yesterday a friend of mine was driving in Monsey and there was a baby just old enough to walk, probably about a year old walking in middle of the street by herself! Sad

smily

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 11:01 am
When you see these things happening do keep on going or stop and enquire?

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 11:06 am
Quote:
When you see these things happening do keep on going or stop and enquire?

a baby walking in the street?! He stopped his car in middle of the street and got out, picked up the baby and went looking for the parents.

smily

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 11:16 am
Thumbs Up

cindy324

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:17 pm
Quote:
a baby walking in the street?! He stopped his car in middle of the street and got out, picked up the baby and went looking for the parents.

Something similar happened to a friend of ours. He was driving down 11th Ave in BP one night, when he saw something yellow in the middle of the street. He slowed down , and it was a baby crawling, in a yellow stretchy that the street light happened to have shined on! Our friend got out of the car , picked up the baby, walked up the block, he saw a door open. There was some kind of simcha going on and apparently the baby crawled right out.

Mishie

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:21 pm
OMG!!!! shock shock shock
That's really scary!!!

I would've taken that baby to the Police-Station!!!!

The Parents prob. just laughed it off..... their baby could've been killed C"V!!!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:54 pm
I was coming home from work one day when I saw a little one just stepping into the street. I was pregnant at the time; the street, normally busy was clear and I was able to rush across and grab the child. Mom was cleaning for Peasach and had the kids on the porch and she forgot to latch the gate. I just thank G-d the street was clear and I was there.

As for the party going on; we can't necessarily blame the parents. We don't know how left the door open or how the child got to where it did. With a lot of people about who knows what happened? Same for baby walking down the street. Without knowing all the details we really can't blame mom and dad in the above cases.

Baruch Hashem someone came by and helped the child.

One of our friends had a child who slept walked. He managed to get out of the house and onto the street at night. Thank G-d a neighbor heard and brought the child back. The boy was about 2 or 2.5 at the time. Not much older; I don't think he had his hair cut.

One day, when my oldest was about 4 or 5, I went out the front door, into the entry way between my apartment and my landlords apartment (2 family house) I was about to go in when I noticed, I don't know how, but just did, my daughter had followed me out...she was sleepwalking, go out of bed and would have been out on the streets if I hadn't turned around at that moment. I would not have known she was outside, would not have known till I went to check on her. With the lateness of the hour that might not have been till the next morning.

Baby's do sometimes get out of the house; I heard a tragic case in Brooklyn, didn't know the family but it was when we lived there. A baby had gotten out of the house just as dad was leaving, and no one noticed. The child got behind the car and the father ran over his own child.

GAMZu

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 12:20 am
OMG, I am going to have nightmares from the crawling baby story!
There was a story no too long ago about a 2 y.o. girl who woke up in middle of the night, unlocked the door and went outside. She was killed by a car. Sad
True, sometimes the parents aren't at fault, but in the OP's example, how could they not be??!!

su7kids

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 12:33 am
I think Hashem sends a Malach (Angel) for each one of these children, and in each case its one of us, or someone we know.

Scary, let me tell you! My now 47 year old brother once crawled across sthe busy street where we lived because he wanted to go and play in the park!!

The attendant at the park brought him back home!!!

raizy

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 12:28 am
yes we cant really blame the parents .

but sometimes the parents need to be more careful . if it is a simcha do everyoene a favour and put that child strapepd andlocked into a carriage.

said that I cheched my child and the door this shouvos form my mothers house one million times . well a minete later my precous baby fell down all the steps. all 15 of them. he wasnt hurt bh except for some scratches. so what I am said is that u cant expect that mothers should watch their kids like a hack. my niece opened the door and my baby followed. yes it is my fault. yes I should have locked the door so my niece couldnt have opened the door but kids where coming in and out. dont worry after that time I always lock the top lock. who cares aobvut the kids. whoever is up stays up whover is down stays down. good rule.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 12:49 am
My parents' best friend is a doc. One day he came back from work (his wife is sahm) and he found the baby crawling on the road, in the snow. It had escaped from the house and the wife hadn't noticed. So he says 3 kids is already too much for her attention and he doesn't want any more child, although she wants one of the other gender.

amother

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 1:30 am
when one of my sisters was about 2 yrs old, she some how got out of the house and was taking a walk aroudn the block. she had even turned the corner! thank g-d a neighbor who knew who she was saw her and brought her back home! I remember how scary it was. the neighbor said that she was standing at the street as if she was waiting for the cars to stop so she can cross and go to the park! it was crazy!

and like another poster said, mothers cant watch their kids every step they take. with alot of kids in teh house... somehow the door opened adn she got "free"!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, May 27 2007, 2:11 am
Quote:
Yesterday a friend of mine was driving in Monsey and there was a baby just old enough to walk, probably about a year old walking in middle of the street by herself!

When I was 3yrs old my parents dozed off in the living room whilst we were around them playing. I wanted to take my baby aka doll for a walk and took my two younger siblings in tow obviously one was crwling .

Anyways I managed somehow after getting a step stool to open our front door and go on this walk with all in tow. B"h for our neighbor next door I didn't get far.She asked me where mummy was I said sleeping and then she said where are you going I announced shopping to which she responded no your not Wink The rest is history.

Point being sometimes even when we are super careful we can't be on top of them all the time. Sad

mushmom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 10:11 pm
these stories are terrifying but most of them sound like complete accidents.
what I saw today did not look like an accident at all!: We were driving thru Williamsburg (not a good part of it, too) and saw a very small boy and girl- even if they were short, they could not have been more than 6 years old- crossing quite a large street and walking somehwere together. they were going quickly and really looked as though they had been sent somewhere.
I couldnt believe it-- letting such tiny children cross a street themselves!!! I told my husband that maybe a side effect of the nurturing aspect of a community like williamsburg is that everyone thinks they live in a nice sweet shtetl where there are a million pairs of eyes on their children adn the standards of caution just go. well let me tell you., this was not in the center of williamsburg but at the edge and there was almost no one on the street. what this mother was thinking- I cannot even imagine.
they were so adorable, these kids... but so small! do people really think that a 6 yr old is grown enough to cross the street??!

amother

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 10:21 pm
Mushmom, maybe they were going by themselves. You just never know.

mushmom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 10:37 pm
I cant explain it but they really didnt look like they were. they were holding hands and looked very comfortable walking the streets themselves- not like this was a rare adventure.
but maybe youre right... I dont know.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jun 17 2007, 11:33 pm
I see this all the time. And kids asking total strangers to help them cross the street. I'm sorry, if a child isn't old enough to cross the street alone, he shouldn't be out alone, let alone asking STRANGERS TO HELP HIM ACROSS THE STREET.

chen

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 12:50 pm
Mishie wrote:

The Parents prob. just laughed it off.....

That's an unfair statement. You don't even know the people, nor were you there to see what happened, nor do you know any details of the episode. If they were normal, the parents probably went into a panic. Personally I believe in parents keeping two eyes and at least one hand on the baby at all times, but even so, sometimes you don't realize how fast a baby can move or even that the baby is capable of doing something that you have not yet seen him do.

People do take foolish chances, and some of them are so ignorant or naive that they don't even realize thay are taking chances. Furthermore, in a situation where there are a lot of friends and family around, people tend to relax their vigilance, thinking that the other adults are keeping an eye out for their baby. (Wrong and unfair to the other adults, but very common.) Besides which, esp. if they had more than one small child there, there could have been a miscommunication between the parents "I told you to keep an eye on him because I was going to bathroom." "I told you I was going to the bathroom first and I'd take him when I came out." If it was a simcha it was no doubt noisy and crowded and easy to get mishear and misunderstand each other.

Whatever the case may have been, for you to make such a heartless remark about the parents is not right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics