Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
5.5 terrified of big toilets

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 7:37 pm
My 5.5 year-old son with some special needs but mostly "normal" is supposed to start pre1-a next week and he is still TERRIFIED of a big toilet. He is toilet trained--except he is still somewhat prompt-dependent. He needs to be reminded to go at home (sometimes he does go on his own) and will often deny the need to go and then he gets mad at me for me telling him. We were out at a party the other day and he WOULD NOT GO on the toilet. I had a travel potty seat with me and WOULD NOT GO and we were there for hours and eventually had an accident. He hasn't done this in a really long time. I'm so nervous about him starting school next week. When he needs to go he starts acting up and despite all the methods to help him get toilet trained and regular, this is still an issue.

tf

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:01 pm
Ask his therapist.

Would he eventually give in to using a travel potty? If so, it may be worth the few accidents he may have. Don't be pushy, though. Pushing inhibits initiation.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:31 pm
I had the travel potty seat--no go. I even showed him how his younger siblings sit on the toilet and don't fall in.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 5:42 am
Can you teach him to go standing? That would solve the issue for most of the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training